Wrecked my wheels, replacement advice?

cactusbob
cactusbob Posts: 18
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Today I managed to ride through a narrow rut that was hidden under some leaves. Consequently I've managed to gouge a bunch of holes in both sides of both wheel rims. Luckily the tyres survived, so I managed the 10 miles back home without a problem.

The bike is a Giant Defy Advanced 2 with Giant PR-2 disc wheels, so I think I'm looking for some disc ready wheels with 12mm thru-axles. Not sure whether then are centre lock or the other kind. I'm about 88kg so the replacements will need to support that :-). Don't want to spend a fortune, around £400 max, may as well get an upgrade whilst I'm doing it. However if I can get a suitable decent set for less I'm happy with that also.

So suggestions would be appreciated

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Let me be the first to say handbuilts. If not, then Hunt 4Seasons seem popular amongst the disc-afflicted in my club.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
  • If you managed to get home, maybe your wheels are not so wrecked after all? Post some photos in the workshop section, chances are it's a cheap repair
    left the forum March 2023
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Another +1 for Hunt - I have the Mason x Hunt, can't fault them.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Can't quite imagine holes in rims ?
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I know the benefits of hand built wheels and that Hunts have a good rep but if your wheels are trashed the issue here is you will be waiting normally a few weeks for them to arrive or come into stock.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    cougie wrote:
    Can't quite imagine holes in rims ?

I find they are quite good places to fasten the spokes and I fill the big one with my valve. :D
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Cycleclinic.
  • Just been out to look at them again, not as bad as I thought, just not pretty to look at. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at the Hunt wheels
  • cactusbob wrote:
    Just been out to look at them again, not as bad as I thought, just not pretty to look at. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at the Hunt wheels

So you are not interested in repairing them because they are not pretty anymore? :roll:
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Indeed.
  • Certainly not just wanting to replace them just because they are now scuffed, absolutely interested in repairing them, they certainly need new rims. Whether the quality of rest of the Giant components on the wheels makes it worth it I don't know. They are not pretty but they also have sharp bits of metal now sticking out, and some are close to the tyre. Looking at options really, the pictures show the damage, this is pretty much around the entire rim on both sides, front and back wheels.

qpozgke.jpg

0VVOcf1.jpg
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Were you riding that off road?
  • No I was on a laneunder some tree cover and I didn't notice a gap (due to leaves and probably stupidly) where the road had been patched to the side and subsequently failed leaving a nice gap big enough to ride in :-)
    solboy10 wrote:
    Were you riding that off road?
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666
    With that damage you're lucky you didn't stack it! Damage just looks superficial. Light rub down with fine wet and dry should take the edge of the sharp bits. Won't look pretty but when riding you won't notice. Take tyres off and spin rims mounted back in bike to check for warping. Might need true-ing.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Remove tyres, Clean them up with fine wet and dry, then replace the decals.

...or get some lovely handbuilts from Malcom.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Looks superficial to me too. No holes there at all. Just scuffs. Sand then down and good as new - performance wise.
  • There is no damage there. They are disc wheels, so the scratches won' do anything. Sand them down if you want, to remove the sharp bits... 5 minutes job.

Quite a long way from the "I wrecked my wheels" of the original thread. Poor excuse for upgrading, if you ask me... :wink:
  • Scuffed stickers - nothing wrong at all with those wheels

Light Sanding to get rid of any pointy bits and crack on.

Get a hairdryer, remove rest of stickers, touch up with black paint.

Job jobbed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • OK, perhaps I was being a bit dramatic :-)
  • Still as good an excuse for new shiny things as any other though ;)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've had clinchers worse than that and bashed and filed them back into service! One of the advantages of disc brakes is the amount of abuse a rim can tolerate.
  • Still as good an excuse for new shiny things as any other though ;)

Actually no... there is a remote chance the OP is not a shopping bytch
  • Actually no... there is a remote chance the OP is not a shopping bytch

Only a remote chance :-) . Guess I'll be doing a repair job, but also getting some shiny new ones. These Giant ones weigh about 2kg between them, without tyres, according to the internet
  • How much do they weigh according to your kitchen scales?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • No idea, I'm taking them off when I get home to have a decent look.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Permanent black marker pen after sanding down the rough areas.........
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • The giant wheels are around 2kg. however is they work ride them. If you do get new wheels then keep these giant wheels. no sence in selling them the resale value is not worth being without them. spare wheels maybe useful one day.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The giant wheels are around 2kg.

About the same as my Hope PRO 4 SS/Trial rear hub then... :wink:
  • Well they've held their pressure overnight, so I guess they aren't wrecked after all. Sandpaper and a respray I guess will do the job. Some all weather tyres and they'll be good until the spring. Out of interest does anyone happen to know off the top of their head whether centre lock and 6 bolt disc wheels are interchangeable (with the ride sized discs), I've been offered some Mavic Kysrium that are centre lock for a reasonable price. I'm quite new to this cycling stuff :-)