Accident at Abby road Zebra Crossing

murrencs
murrencs Posts: 17
edited September 2017 in Commuting general
Hi all, This is my first topic, so sorry if I missed to read something.

On Thursday afternoon I was riding home from work. At the famous Abby road zebra crossing they did some roadworks for weeks. One line was completely closed, so they put a 4 way traffic light control to manage the traffic on that 1 line.

When I arrived to the junction, the light was red, I was the first in the line. When the light turned to green, I started to pedaling. I saw 1 girl was still on the middle of the road, where the 2 lines meets, but as my line was clear, I did not care too much about her. There are always lot of tourists take pictures.

When I pass the girl (who was with her back to me) someone warned her that the traffic is coming. She, instead of move forward to the closed side, jumped back. Most probably she stepped into my front wheel as it was destroyed. I was traveling about 25km/h...

Finally I landed on my forehead around 6-7 meters from the zebra crossing. Ambulance and police came, they took my details and also talked to the girl. Finally the ambulance took me to a hospital, and later to another one, and in the end I end up in a third one, where they were able to put back together the skin on my forehead.

My bike was a brand new Boardman MX Sport, and I had the cycleplan insurance 1 month trial.

I have a few questions, if some one would be able to give me some answers please.

1, I have no paper from the police, How can or will I receive any statement from them?

2, I have no life-changing injuries, apart from the skin from my forehead is missing in a £2 coin area. Can I claim anything anywhere for it? As it was not my fault, she stood on the zebra crossing when the light was red for her, and moved on the wrong direction.

3, It happened on the way home from work, what are my rights in this case.

4, As all my face is purple and blue, I have edema on my eyes so I actually can't see properly. I'm not able to work for weeks, what can I get for this time from my employer?

5, the material damages, such as my bike, my watch, my glasses, my clothes, who will compensate for all of this. (I guess nobody)

Also if there's anything I can or I have to do in this case would be helpful, I never had any accident like this before.

Thank you in advance and sorry if I could find these information here, just I missed them.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Tbh I think it sounds like your fault. Riding behind a pedestrian who was in the road - you didn't give her the space. Maybe you couldn't. But you should have been very cautious.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    For clarity, you rode into a pedestrian on a zebra crossing?

At least we know the maximum you'll get is 18 months hard labour.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cougie wrote:
    Tbh I think it sounds like your fault. Riding behind a pedestrian who was in the road - you didn't give her the space. Maybe you couldn't. But you should have been very cautious.

Yes I should have been more cautious, but the light was red for her for nearly a minute and she had plenty of space. one line was completely closed, is she did not move, me don't cross each others way. IDK, the police did not say anything about it was my fault.
  • cooldad wrote:
    For clarity, you rode into a pedestrian on a zebra crossing?

At least we know the maximum you'll get is 18 months hard labour.

Technically yes, but it was not allowed to her to stay there while the light is red. Like this is not so clear that it was my fault.

If I cross the road when the light is red, and a car who has the green light hit me, it's my fault.
  • cooldad
    AFAIK if you hit a pedestrian on a zebra crossing, it's your fault. Zebra crossings don't have lights.

This is the crossing, no lights, unless you mean some for roadworks.

1200px-Abbey_Road_London.JPG
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    AFAIK if you hit a pedestrian on a zebra crossing, it's your fault. Zebra crossings don't have lights.

This is the crossing, no lights, unless you mean some for roadworks.

1200px-Abbey_Road_London.JPG

Correct, this is the zebra, and I came from this direction as the picture has been taken. But, there was a 4 way traffic control light due to roadworks, and one line, the opposite direction from this point of view was closed.
  • DJb18bfW4AEw9xb.jpg

Was like this.
  • cooldad
    25km/h through a roadworks with a pedestrian on the crossing. Right of way or not you really should be more careful.

You're probably lucky she wasn't injured.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cougie
    You have read the report on the cycle courier who got 18 months for hitting a pedestrian who had stepped out into the road without looking ?

What happened to the pedestrian ? Was she injured ?
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I wouldnt take to much advice off of a cycling forum ... you would be better off talking to whomever you are insured with.

they will be able to advise and follow up any claims for you
  • cougie
    He says. On a cycling forum...

;-)
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Its like 10,000 spoons
  • Look at your cycleplan insurance documents. You should get quite a bit back. Talk to them.

Is the pedestrian you hit taking action? Your liability to them could be covered as well.

Might want to make sure when talking to them that they understand the zebra crossing was a temporary pelican crossing at the time, as otherwise you just rode into a pedestrian on a pedestrian crossing.

Clearly you won't make the mistake of riding that close to someone on a pedestrian crossing at that speed again. Especially one that is world renowned for people stopping in the middle of, and walking backwards and forwards across.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It looks like the Zebra crossing is not currently a zebra crossing but a light controlled pelican crossing, that changes the legal position quite significantly as it means you were no longer required to give way (not cross an occupied crossing at all), as such while you bare some responsibility, its significantly diminished, in fact you would appear to be in a position where you could claim from the pedestrian as they were crossing when they shouldn't have been, although personally I'd say its 50:50 FROM YOUR DESCRIPTION.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd not be pushing for any compensation in the legal climate. Riding too fast too close to a pedestrian - I don't think it matters what the lights say.

Suck it up and ride with more caution in future ?

Rookie - bearing in mind we've only heard one side of the story from the OP - if it's 50/50 just on that - I'm pretty sure it would swing towards the pedestrian if her side of the story was heard. If the OP is lucky - she's a tourist that isn't injured and is probably carrying on with her holiday and not bothering with legal action in a foreign country.
  • cougie wrote:
    You have read the report on the cycle courier who got 18 months for hitting a pedestrian who had stepped out into the road without looking ?

What happened to the pedestrian ? Was she injured ?

No, she was not injured. She was more lucky than me regarding the injuries. I was taken to hospitals (3 of them) to sew my forehead.
  • This the first time you've hit the deck?
  • This the first time you've hit the deck?

Well, I ride since my childhood, and I had a few off road accidents, but not as bad as now. :)