Carbon seat post alloy seat tube

kirkee
kirkee Posts: 369
edited September 2017 in Workshop
Hi, I've heard of carbon fitting paste, however, is it ok to use normal bike specific grease on a carbon seat post in alloy seat tube?
Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    It is not advisable as normal grease could make the carbon swell over time and seize in the seat tube, so I have read when I researched this subject. For the cost of a tube of carbon grip paste I would just bite the bullet. Whatever you use, it is advisable to remove the seatpost every 2-3 months for a clean, check and reapplication.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Cheers, will sort it
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,516
    grease will not cause cf to swell, it's just one of those internet myths that won't die, carbon assembly paste is grease plus gritty bits

use carbon assembly paste, two reasons...

1 - the grease in it will help prevent galvanic corrosion (between aluminium and carbon if moisture gets in, the al loses, badly), greatly reducing the chance the post will jam

2 - it will reduce the clamping torque needed to prevent the post slipping
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • utter rubbish that it causes swelling. complete tosh.

carbon paste or copperslip: it's the little granules you want. increase grip, decrease torque values.

Normal Molly doesn't have these and will just cause the seat post to slip.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Also not necessary to re-do every few weeks. Annually should be fine...
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Svetty wrote:
    Also not necessary to re-do every few weeks. Annually should be fine...

Which is what I've been doing for 10 years. I have both an alloy frame with a carbon seatpost, and a carbon frame with an alloy post, and use carbon paste on both. No corrosion, sticking or slipping, and I don't have to be too brutal with the clamp bolts.

And my tub of paste is going to last several lifetimes...