Buying the "extras"

wildpig
wildpig Posts: 39
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello all

I pick up my first road bike tomorrow, which I purchased under the C2W scheme from my LBS.

I took the full £1k LOC value, and have about £300 left to spend. I own a decent helmet, a couple of locks, basic repair stuff like tyre levers/puncture kit/pump etc. Although my pump is a PITA to use.

What's of most use kit-wise for me to add to to use up the balance? Open to anything/learning, and I can stick a few extra ££s into the mix if I need to.

Thanks!

Comments

• mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Several schemes have limitations in what you can spend the allowance on. I'd check that first.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Checked it this morning, no parts or turbo trainer, but nearly everything else goes.

I figured stuff to keep me warm in winter would be a good place to start.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Mudguards, Garmin or other GPS computer, good lights. There'll be a few bargains at Aldi next week so worth looking there too

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/229329 ... 350-indoor
  • bobones wrote:
    Mudguards, Garmin or other GPS computer, good lights. There'll be a few bargains at Aldi next week so worth looking there too

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/229329 ... 350-indoor

Lovely stuff, I'll take a look thank you.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Get a decent track pump with a pressure gauge. If you do not keep your tyres correctly inflated you will get pinch punctures.
  • Yep decent track pump should be high on your list.

Do you need bottle cages? CO2 inflation? Saddle bag? Garmin? A few spare inner tubes?
  • Definitely a proper pump with gauge, as mentioned. I used to have pinch punctures for fun when using a bog standard pump. I thought i had plenty of air in because the tyres felt hard. Truth is i was no where near my preferred running pressure of 100psi. A proper pump sorted that and i haven't had a puncture in 3 years now.
  • Thanks for the suggestions.

Ended up getting a decent floor pump (already have a hand pump for emergencies in my puncture kit), bib shorts, windchill top, some lights as I'll be on the bike earlier mornings, bottle cage and some mitts.

In the next month or so I'll look for a few more warm items too, and some clip on mud guards probably. New year a bike computer if I have the ££ spare.

Looking forward to getting on the bike and learning more.