Fan and Gritty Eyes

navrig2
navrig2 Posts: 1,844
I've been doing a few more turbo sessions recently and they are getting longer - 60 mins.

I've noticed that my eyes have been more strained and feel gritty this week. I reckon its the affect of the fan I use for keeping cool on the turbo. Even keeping it pointed at my torso I feel the affect after a session.

I am thinking I may need to put on my glasses to see if that helps.

Anyone else get this and if so what did you do to prevent it?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I had a go on a track bike at the olympic velodrome on Saturday morning (birthday surprise) the atmosphere in there was incredibly dry. I was wearing my specs because of my mole like eyesight but those without said their eyes were streaming. I had to stop for water at one point because my mouth and throat were so dry, and several of us were coughing for a while afterwards.

So yes, give the glasses a try.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Yes Manchester velodrome is like that too. Very dry. Don't forget though your eyes are moving at speed round the track - you'd have glasses on normally.

To the OP - try the fan from the side rather than face on ?
  • Why not just pop in some drops afterwards?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Eyes closed due to the suffering
  • navrig2
    Fenix wrote:
    Yes Manchester velodrome is like that too. Very dry. Don't forget though your eyes are moving at speed round the track - you'd have glasses on normally.

To the OP - try the fan from the side rather than face on ?

I'll try that too.
    Why not just pop in some drops afterwards?

Purchased this morning for the next time but probably best to avoid the irritant.
  • navrig2
    Alex99 wrote:
    Eyes closed due to the suffering

But then I can't watch Netflix or YouTube
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    It seems I get a dry throat for a few hours after the ride. I'm running two fans as I run hot and it's a small room. Any suggestions?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Slowmart wrote:
    It seems I get a dry throat for a few hours after the ride. I'm running two fans as I run hot and it's a small room. Any suggestions?

It's just hard work and it messes with you! Drink lots during I guess. Improve air flow to keep cooler?
  • navrig2
    I got some Chloromycetin eyedrops which has solved the initial irritation. An eye test (2 year scheduled, not for this issue) confirmed that I have dry eyes (VDU use and wind in the eyes).

So it is either have the fan blow from the side or back or wear glasses.
    Slowmart wrote:

If you are in a room in a house I am not surprised you run hot. I'm in a largeish garage with only a fridge for heating and I find it warm. Make sure you open a window and ride naked :lol: