Did I buy the wrong bike?

crizzyfir
crizzyfir Posts: 2
edited September 2017 in Commuting general
Hi everyone, first time poster here!

What I'd like to ask is whether my bike is actually the correct type of bike for my 8 mile commute. My route is mainly cycle path with a small amount of riding on the road. There are a few big climbs during the ride and very little of it is flat.

My bike is a Felt F95, and whilst a very capable bike I don't find it the most comfortable it also feels like I should always be pushing it as well.

I think I want something that feels a bit more relaxed and definitely more comfortable. I'm also mindful of the poor conditions of some of the cycle paths and the fact that they may be quite precarious over the coming winter months.

Can I modify the Felt for a more relaxed/comfortable ride? Or do I use this as an excuse to get a more comfortable bike for the winter months? If so would it be a hybrid or mtb?

Any thoughts would be greatly received!

Thanks

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    always N+1 .... ;)
  • Slowbike wrote:
    always N+1 .... ;)

^ this :wink:

Otherwise...yes there are things you can do to improve your comfort like looking at your position on the bike. The saddle you use. Tyres (size and type) and inner tube combos plus pressures. Other stuff like mudguards for winter. To my eyes the bike looks capable of doing what you want it to do. Yes some entry level bikes are abit heavier so need abit more welly to get them going but you get used to that.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My son has an F95 and it's quite racy geometry, and pretty harsh over the rough stuff.

Can you flip the stem to raise the bars a bit? What size tyres do you have at what pressure? His came with 23s but there's room for 25s if not bigger.

You could fit some gel inserts under the bar tape or even double wrap them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Flip the stem (remove and reinstall upside down so it angles up not down) to raise the bars about an inch, move the saddle forward a bit on the rails and that will get you a little more upright for free, otherwise a shorter stem or one with a bigger rise wouldn't cost much.

You can almost certainly use 28mm (maybe even 32mm) tyres for a bit more comfort and quite a bit more secure feeling control on rougher surfaces as well. I ride 28mm and have some rough paths and it handles them just fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    As others have said, change stem to mount the bars higher and fit wider tyres. The important thing with the tyres though is that wider means more air volume which means you can/should run them at lower pressures - thats why wider tyres are more comfy. If you run them at the same pressure as your skinny tyres, they wont be any more comfortable.