Boardman CX Team alternative

lochindaal
lochindaal Posts: 475
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
I was going to buy a Boardman CX Team on cycle to work but it turns out Halfords do their own scheme and I can't buy there. There is an alternative to buy via Cycle Republic but I wouldn't get the BC 10% discount.

Before I commit I wanted anyones opinion on an alternative to look at.

i'm going to do some cyclocross over the winter though for fun and keeping fit rather than for winning. The bike will also be used by my wife for a very short commute.

What appeals is 1) Hydraulic Discs and 2) SRAM 1 x 11 so less parts for maintenance

Anything else to consider?

Comments

• Planet X
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    Cycle Republic do accept 10% BC discount just in case you weren't aware. (though perhaps not with cycle scheme too)
  • Yes don't with cyclescheme
  • Pinnacle Arkose X 2017?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Planet X XLA SRAM Apex 1
    Ribble CX5
    Esoteric choice, probably too adventure and not enough cross... Sonder Camino Al?

Given the CX team is currently at £810 by the time BC discount is factored in though you may be best to forget C2W, finance it another way and go that route (it will probably depend if you are a higher rate taxpayer or not). Be quick though - they are due an update in 2018, so current 2-17 stock are likely to be the last before the new variant comes in with an (inevitably) higher price due to Brexit etc.
    Getting better slowly, one crash at a time!
    Marin Hawk Hill 2 2018
    Kinesis Tripster AT, SRAM Apex
    Specialized Crossroads 2000
  • oxoman wrote:
    ...Too many C2W schemes now charge an admin fee so making it not worth considering. The bike shops also have to charge RRP to make their bit of profit as well.
    Yes, C2W is effectively dead for standard rate tax payers - it only really makes sense now if you pay the higher rate, meaning savings will be ~35% by the time you own the bike. The risk is they change the rules again part way through though, there are no guarantees what you will be offered at the end of your initial hire period.
    Getting better slowly, one crash at a time!
    Marin Hawk Hill 2 2018
    Kinesis Tripster AT, SRAM Apex
    Specialized Crossroads 2000
  • Deal done
    Now bike is £900 at Halfords
    10% discount from BC. Can buy vouchers for Halfords via work scheme that is currently at 10.5% discount
    4% on Halfords at TCB

Total price £688 :D
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    I bought mine at easter the last time they were reduced. They told me then that it was end of line so I could have £75 worth of free accessories. They often offer this on end of line bikes. Might still apply ,no harm in asking, It's a great bike and takes full mudguards and still leaves clearance.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Boardman website direct, who also back the (or at least one of) C2W.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.