Safe cycling speed on bike lane?

drhaggis
drhaggis Posts: 1,150
edited September 2017 in Commuting chat
Following a recent incident I had nearby, and after Alliston's conviction, I wanted to ask you what you'd consider a reasonable speed on a particular spot.

This road, around the Meadows in Edinburgh, is part of my usual commute. During the evening rush hour, It's often full of static westbound traffic. There's a bike lane on each way, but you'd have to be careful with cars joining, or eastbound cars turning south.

Given that, what speed would you consider appropriate on the bike lane, while "undertaking" jammed cars?

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'd vary my speed along it according to perceived hazards.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'd go with that, no more than 20mph at any point in all likelihood, slowing down to walking pace if I perceive hazard and any where between.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • At the point where there are cars joining/crossing the line of traffic you are undertaking, as slow as you need to be going to be able to stop before you go over the bonnet.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,790
    Variable.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,637
    Assume you are responsible for not hitting stray peds, turning cars or car doors and work backwards. You might not feel you should be responsible for this, but you will definitely be in charge of the pain you receive if you do hit any of them. My guess would be a virtual stop at every junction, an eagle eye for car doors and less than 10 mph (depending on how much space you have).

Alternatively, ride in the eastbound lane if there is space. That means your only challenges are turning cars and oncoming traffic which are usually easier to deal with.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I ride in and back in exactly these circumstances, though the cycle lane is wider than some. Speed varies from as fast as I can turn the pedals in nice wide & empty bus lane sections with no left turns to a virtual crawl through the Tooting Tunnel of Death.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Not very is my approach to undertaking speeds. Unless its a bus lane when I'm happy to go a bit faster.

If the cars are stationary down there I don't think I'd be going much more than 10mph, certainly no more than 15, going by the pictures anyway, obviously with experience maybe a bit more.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Exactly as the others have said. You need to change your speed just like any other road user would.

If you're coming up to junctions then expect cars to be crossing your path. Sure it's a silly move if they can't see your lane - but I'd rather be inconvenienced by slowing rather than in hospital. If you're coming up to near a school or business then expect people to jump out of their cars.

If you can't see whats happening ahead then slow down.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Assume you are responsible for not hitting stray peds, turning cars or car doors and work backwards. You might not feel you should be responsible for this, but you will definitely be in charge of the pain you receive if you do hit any of them. My guess would be a virtual stop at every junction, an eagle eye for car doors and less than 10 mph (depending on how much space you have).

Alternatively, ride in the eastbound lane if there is space. That means your only challenges are turning cars and oncoming traffic which are usually easier to deal with.

What he said. It depends on the conditions so you could be doing 20mph or even more but only if clear, and I would be cycling in primary at those speeds. In the conditions you describe I imagine I wouldn't be doing more than 15mph, likely lower.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    10-15 with spider sense on full. I've been taken out by a car pulling across a bus lane (hatched) and stopping just before I got there. Was probably doing about 27 down the middle of it.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485
    I know the road well and your as likely to hit a p!$$ed up fresher or other ped staring into their phone as you are to be hit by a vehicle.

Even taking those out the equation, doing 20mph along there on any regular basis will see you in some sort of crash before long. And the infirmary isn't quite as close as it used to be.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Asprilla wrote:

agree totally
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Thanks for all the comments!
    k1875 wrote:
    I know the road well and your as likely to hit a p!$$ed up fresher or other ped staring into their phone as you are to be hit by a vehicle.

Oh, that's a good point, all the student movement from/to King's Buildings, the old campus at George Sq. and Marchmont. A couple of weeks ago one of them was cycling with earbuds, oblivious to the external world, across a path in Bruntsfield links, and joined the bike lane without even looking. That was quite obviously his intention, so I gave him space to join. Was quite surprised to see he wasn't the only bike user in the city. To his credit, he did apologise.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    It totally depends on the space and potential for hazards.

Heading down a wide bus lane next to static traffic with no driveways or side roads then I'm quite happy to open the taps.

Heading across something like Hammersmith bridge then significantly slower, but still 'quick ish' as there is no potential for turning traffic or passengers exiting the car.

In a cycle lane with poor visibility, side roads, pedestrians and the possibility of being doored then I would aim to be able to come to a complete standstill within a couple of metres.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    What the others said. If narrow, no more than the speed at which you're prepared to hit a car door.

In case anyone's tempted to point out that it's the motorists' responsibility to avoid dooring cyclists, remember this well-known epitaph:
    Here lies the body of Henry Gray
    He died defending his right of way.
    His way was right, his will was strong,
    But he’s just as dead as if he was wrong.
    Pannier, 120rpm.