How to remove Olive on Sram DB5 Brakes.

Applesandoranges
Applesandoranges Posts: 41
edited September 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi im removing rear sram DB5 from my bike, because its internal routed i need to remove the Olive so i can remove the plastic cover so I can reverse though the frame.

Daft question to some but how do i remove the silver olive? Theirs videos on shimano but non on sram brakes. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pull.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cut the hose just in front of it, if you can pull it off it wasn't on properly!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Olives squeeze down onto the hose to seal when the hollow bolt is tightened so are not reusable.

I use a dremel cut off disc to cut almost all the way through and then break open with a screwdriver in the slot
  • Thanks, just curios before doing it can the cable be removed from the caliper end? This actually maybe easier.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Thanks, just curios before doing it can the cable be removed from the caliper end? This actually maybe easier.
    Yes, but that end will have an olive as well.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    A quick Google shows the other end has a crimped on straight connector that should not be removed and is too big to pass through the frame.
  • Upgrade to a new bike
  • Upgrade to a new bike
    Awesome advice thanks It worked!! Done everything you said!
  • Ive done it cheers for the (useful) replys
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Rookie wrote:
    Cut the hose just in front of it, if you can pull it off it wasn't on properly!

Fair enough, I was being a bit facetious, although I have managed to reuse them when needs must.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools