Sportful Reflex jackets

mzgadzaj
mzgadzaj Posts: 27
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
First of all, let me get if off my chest - I don't commute.

What I am looking for (well, more like playing with the idea really) is a reflective(ish) jacket (hi(er)-vis would be an added bonus) for the approaching autumn/winter for those early mornings (and perhaps late evenings) when going out for group rides - in no particular order: to be better seen by motorists, to shed some morning chill, to be able to stuff the thing in the back pocket once it gets warmer/we get out of the city, and to have an extra layer of protection if it happens to rain on the way (though don't really expect anything properly waterproof, or superbly breathable). Wouldn't mind it being cheap as well.

I have a white Sportful Hot Pack jacket (I believe its first iteration), which ticks most of these boxes (except reflectiveness and being hi-vis) and which I really like, but its days are numbered. Time to go shopping (again) then!

I am looking at Sportful Reflex 2 jacket (and previous Reflex as well), and am tempted, especially that I can see it in my size for 17.50€ - sounds like a steal.

Before I hit the button though, does anyone have one of these? (Or both, and could also describe differences?) What are your impressions? Or perhaps any counter-suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Yay !!! .. me ... I have a Sportful Reflex ... cant coment on the "2" .. but the original if fapping ace !

Its my favorite bit of cycle clothing. Got it in white so it stands out in lowish lightagainst the road and the green of trees etc but still looks good and not like you are a commuter :D

It fits well, hugs the body without being tight

It breathes ok because its so light you dont overheatas much as you would in a heavier gortex so breathability isnt such an issue... I use in on colder days with a SS jersey underneath, it rolls up into its own puch and I store it in the drinks bottle holder so I dont end up with a big lump on my back squashing my bannana

I wouldnt call it waterproof .. it holds off the light misty rain and a light drizzle, but when the inevitable happens you get wet .. but being windproof you dont get cold so its all good.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    I had one. Cheap, more stylish than most and very good reflectives. Decent Sportful Italian fit. Doesn't rustle at speed. Not hugely breathable but never seemed too boil in the bag.

The bad - it doesn't pack as small as many emergency jackets. It's not hugely waterproof - great for emergency commuting protection but if you were miles away from home and only had that for protection you would get very wet.

I lost mine when it fell out of my commuting saddlebag one evening. Replaced with a Endura Pakajak which is similar but better in a number of ways. That costs even less - seen as low as £12 at times. It packs noticeably smaller. It has much better vents. Similar levels of protection and a similar (great) cut. The main downside Vs the Sportful is that it doesn't have as many reflectives.