New Lock Combo

kleinstroker
kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
edited December 2017 in Commuting chat
Fed up of lugging around my Kryptonite 4, and looking to get something as safe but a lot lighter and easier to stick in the back pack. Quite like the look of the litelok locks, but at £85 are quite pricey.
Anybody have one? Any good or is there something better or as good?
Next I want a secondary lock just for front wheel, and was looking at hiplok z-lok for that, though maybe too insecure to leave on all day outside the studio

open to suggestions

cheers

Comments

• Tumbleweed eh?
  • Didn't someone on here get into a long drawn out "battle" with the Litelok designers? There was a thread about it going on for months, think it was still getting updates early this year.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,326
    Hmm, is a bit. Was it Litelock that got panned for being really easy to break. Think there's a YouTube vid on it. Guessing you can't leave the lock where you lock up? That's my preference, I just have to remember to take it with me if I intend stopping on the way home.
  • Really.. Litelok is Solid Secure Gold, I don't think they give out those easily. Let me do a quick search
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I have a hiplok gold rated lock for the rare occasions I have to lock my bike - it's heavy as hell, but as you wear it round your hips, you don't notice it, though if you were skinny I suppose you might. I have secure storage at work, and keep the bike in a recess in the hall when it's at home. Those z-loks look like you could cut them with scissors, though I'm sure you can't, but would deter an opportunist wanting your front wheel I reckon.
  • z-loks have stainless core so not that easy to cut, at least not with scissors :lol:

Anyway no big threads on litelok, so must have been something else
  • veronese68
    Didn't someone on here get into a long drawn out "battle" with the Litelok designers? There was a thread about it going on for months, think it was still getting updates early this year.
    Found it:
    viewtopic.php?t=13076261
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Didn't someone on here get into a long drawn out "battle" with the Litelok designers? There was a thread about it going on for months, think it was still getting updates early this year.
    Found it:
    viewtopic.php?t=13076261

Thanks for that, I'm disappointed to be honest. Wonder if they are still selling the same version?
  • veronese68
    Thanks for that, I'm disappointed to be honest. Wonder if they are still selling the same version?
    No problem. I like the idea of the lock so as you say it is disappointing. If they acknowledged the problem and did something about it I would have some respect for them but it looks like they are burying their heads in the sand and getting any videos posted taken down. Seems odd.
  • A small step down but 500g saving. Might be ok

kryptoniteminimessengeandextendbikelock.jpg?width=644&height=644&format=jpg&quality=70&bgcolor=fff
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    No problem. I like the idea of the lock so as you say it is disappointing. If they acknowledged the problem and did something about it I would have some respect for them but it looks like they are burying their heads in the sand and getting any videos posted taken down. Seems odd.

Read yesterday they have just secured a 7 figure investment deal , so maybe that is why they are being a bit silly
  • Got the little HipLok DX lock which is Gold rated (and rated by http://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/1381/c ... king-point ). It's quite small internally which is both good and bad, but works for where I lock my bike.

That with the z-lok for the wheels might do the trick.
  • veronese68
    A small step down but 500g saving. Might be ok
    I remember reading somewhere that Abus D locks are better because the locking mechanism locks both sides of the U section. That means you have to cut it twice to free the bike. With most of the Kryptonite locks as one end of the U hooks in you only have to cut the lock once. Hope that helps.
  • Have decided to leave the krypto 4 locked on the cycle hoop at work, just need to weatherproof it for the winter, then will get something like the hiplok DX or knog strongman (£29! At planetx)
    Also looked at the hiplok z-loks and the version you can buy in the shops is not the same as in all the photos they use for marketing, the key looks tinny and weak in real life.
  • kleinstroker
    Just when you thought you had the best lock money could buy..

Some twonk shows everyone how easy it is to pick it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=322&v=Iaj6Hh2kr9E
  • Just when you thought you had the best lock money could buy..

He’s hardly “some twonk”. Look at his other videos. He’s basically (notwithstanding his user name) a semi-professional lock pick.

My current take on locks: if you want a good one, buy one that offers insurance cover if your bike gets nicked. Someone is willing to back that lock with their money. I’ll take that one.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • kleinstroker
    The reason I called him a twonk is putting videos on YouTube. It's not a great idea is it?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315
    Well now we know not to buy it, or at least are making an informed decision if we do.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,152
    The reason I called him a twonk is putting videos on YouTube. It's not a great idea is it?
    He's not the only one who does it. I find the videos quite useful because you know which ones not to get and it gives you an idea of what to look for when buying.
    Some locks take him a few seconds to open. If it takes him more than a couple of minutes for him to do it then it's probably decent enough for most folk.
  • An expert locksmith or lock pick (bear in mind there's a world championship in lock picking apparently) takes a couple of minutes then it's a decent lock. I doubt many bike thieves have his skill or the time to pick a lock like this. Plus he actuality says it's good lock for most ppl.

I got a silver rated hip lock chain. It's less than 2kg but still a big lump. It had the benefit of not being that noticeable around your waist. It's about the same diameter as a standard sized D lock. The litelok isn't as big from what I read.
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    I've just been bought the Z Lok cable ties and they seem pretty sturdy with steel running through them, but before using them on my bike I thought I would just double check and sure enough the key doesn't seem to unlock it! I double checked to make sure the cable went through the lock in the right direction and everything is fine, but the key does not insert fully on either side of the lock, therefore not releasing the cable! I then checked the other cable (2 in a pack) to make sure it wasn't just a faulty lock but that cable also wouldn't release. Anyone got one of these and know how to release the lock?? it should be as simple as pushing the key all the way in and then pulling the cable out....but it doesn't work.

Cheers!
  • Just tried mine, and it seems to be working ok, a bit fiddly though for sure
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150

A month later, but if the security of your product depends on somebody not uploading something to youtube, you're pretty much screwed. About 7 years ago, a chap from Cambridge proved in his Masters thesis the chip & pin implementation was (is?) insecure. Banks tried to censor that, but failed.
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    Just tried mine, and it seems to be working ok, a bit fiddly though for sure

I emailed Hiplok and they said they had a batch of faulty keys where the pins bent so they sent me some solid keys which work much better. Cheers!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Just when you thought you had the best lock money could buy..

He’s hardly “some twonk”. Look at his other videos. He’s basically (notwithstanding his user name) a semi-professional lock pick.

My current take on locks: if you want a good one, buy one that offers insurance cover if your bike gets nicked. Someone is willing to back that lock with their insurer's money for a small increase in their own premium. I’ll take that one.
  • Vulva65 wrote:
    Just tried mine, and it seems to be working ok, a bit fiddly though for sure

I emailed Hiplok and they said they had a batch of faulty keys where the pins bent so they sent me some solid keys which work much better. Cheers!

I might do that as well, & get a spare key

cheers