Upgrading Advice

matty1938
matty1938 Posts: 5
edited September 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Gents

I just purchased a 2014 Voodoo Hoodoo 26inch.

Got a great deal its basically been sat since day one, the Maxis tyres had not even been used.

Really happy with the purchase but want to add my own touches, before i stopped riding i built a jump bike and really loved it.

From reading on here sounds like replacing the tektro brakes are the first port of call.....i am looking at shimano deore xt's or similar at the moment.

I am going to maybe put a shorter stem on....heard a few people say it may be a little long. I will probably go with a HOPE stem and Headset to match.

I was then thinking crank, i had a raceface before and loved it, but might go shimano again with them, will use a hope bottom bracket, can i fit a hope bottom bracket even on the set up as it is or is it just not needed? Is the size of the bottom bracket listed anywhere?

Once i done those bits ill probably look at forks next year.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ride it and then upgrade/change based on what it doesn't do that you want it to.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Ride it and then upgrade/change based on what it doesn't do that you want it to.

Yeh makes sense....i hate sense lol! The brakes 100% need to go i'm not too happy with them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pads are probably contaminated.

It's an XC to light trail bike, a Hope stem would be all wrong, much better options for the intended use.

A headset is a headset, you can't really upgrade it - it doesn't enhance the bike any, just use it until it needs replacing!

Brakes wise I do like Shimano, consider the SLX, fractionally heavier, functionally the same in use and a lot cheaper.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • My biggest regret when I started biking was that I spent £1000 on upgrades On a £400 xc bike and then realised i wanted a trail bike (more travel, slacker front end, etc).

I now wish I'd of just ridden the bike for a year and learned what I wanted in a bike before spending my money on the wrong bike.

My advice is to ride it till it brakes and save your money for when it dose.