Who or what defines a cyclist?

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    HaydenM wrote:
    I self-identify as a cyclist. It doesn't matter if I ride a bike or not.

That made me chuckle.

More importantly, when will I stop feeling like a beginner road cyclist? Is it cumulative miles? Technical knowledge? Years of experience? Number of Castelli garments?

If you have to ask, you're not yet ready. You will just know, when that moment comes.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    HaydenM wrote:
    More importantly, when will I stop feeling like a beginner road cyclist? Is it cumulative miles? Technical knowledge? Years of experience? Number of Castelli garments?

Attitude ...... the 1st time someone starts a new thread on here and you are outraged that someone is so stupid not to know such a simple answer to a quite frankly ridiculous question that shouldnt even be on the forum. and your outrage is so great than rather just ignore the innocent newbie, you instead decide to ridicule and belittle them. Punish them so they dont try and join in with the clique of proper cyclists.

Basically when you start acting like a cnut :D
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    fat daddy wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Attitude ...... the 1st time someone starts a new thread on here and you are outraged that someone is so stupid not to know such a simple answer to a quite frankly ridiculous question that shouldnt even be on the forum. and your outrage is so great than rather just ignore the innocent newbie, you instead decide to ridicule and belittle them. Punish them so they dont try and join in with the clique of proper cyclists.

Basically when you start acting like a cnut :D

Already there, 13 years of MTB have helped admittedly...
  • I've started posting my max and av wattage, FTP, basometric power, asometric power, av speed, max speed, ride time and distance on the daily thread.

Does that make me a proper cyclist?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    I've started posting my max and av wattage, FTP, basometric power, asometric power, av speed, max speed, ride time and distance on the daily thread.

Do you have a moustache?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I've started posting my max and av wattage, FTP, basometric power, asometric power, av speed, max speed, ride time and distance on the daily thread.

I understood speed, time and distance, the rest is Greek. Does that make me a bicyclist?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Garry H wrote:

Do you have a moustache?

No, but I do always wear a little cotton cap. I have 9 of them tha are the same because they were in a nine for nine pounds deal at Prendas which I thought was absolutely wonderful.

Does that make me a hipster?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    Garry H wrote:

Do you have a moustache?

No, but I do always wear a little cotton cap. I have 9 of them tha are the same because they were in a nine for nine pounds deal at Prendas which I thought was absolutely wonderful.

Hmmm, don't think so (You're basically same as me, no moustache, but lots of cotton caps). Do you have a full sleeve tattoo?
  • No full sleeve tattoo or "vintage" junk on me but I do have some Japanese stuff on my back.

I don't tend to do naked in public much though, so it's all hidden away.

Does the fact I own two single speeders throw me back into hipster category or does the fact that both have brakes negate this?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Who or what defines a cyclist depends, from geometric symbolism and metaphoric perspectives on cycles, Newton referred Kepler's metaphorically inferred and empiracally implied laws back to the principles of Galilean mechanics but you probably knew this was what the OP really wanted to ask :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Garry H
    By japanese stuff, do you mean Hello Kitty, or some badass Miyamoto Musashi Samurai type thing?
  • Samurai shittt denoting,loyalty to family and all tha rubbish.

Was going to be a shoulder/half arm done but haven't got around to thinking up draft design to be passed to someone who can actually draw.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,734
    No full sleeve tattoo or "vintage" junk on me but I do have some Japanese stuff on my back.

I don't tend to do naked in public much though, so it's all hidden away.

Does the fact I own two single speeders throw me back into hipster category or does the fact that both have brakes negate this?
    Phew!
    I had to read that twice as the first time I thought you said speedos.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Garry H
    Having taken all evidence into consideration, you're a commuter.
  • Occasional communter as sometimes I take the car.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Garry H wrote:

Do you have a moustache?

Do you own a coffee grinder and aeropress?
  • Coffee grinder and multiple moka pots.

Do I swing back into hipster?

Am so confused.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Have you got a top knot and a beard.
  • no, but several bicycle themed t shirts that are quite tight fitting, including one from Soho Cycles, an extremely average but very trendy shop.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    This thread came to mind today. I own a few bicycles and ride them on and off. I'm not sure what that makes me, but I did have an epiphany today, as I walked in to my living room and glanced at the road bike leaning against the wall - does having a bike in the house make me a “cyclist”? It’s not been there long but I did feel like I had joined some sort of elite, for whom the shed or garage are not good enough for their bike. For me it’s simply a space issue... there’s no room in the garage or shed for this new bike.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • webboo
    no, but several bicycle themed t shirts that are quite tight fitting, including one from Soho Cycles, an extremely average but very trendy shop.
    I read that men over 40 should not wear t shirts with slogans.
    Which might imply if you do wear them it could you make you out to be a bit of a bell end which in turn would make you a hipster.
  • Garry H
    I have an aeropress, but no coffee grinder. No tats either and no skinny jeans.

I have just cycled 1700 miles today though. Average voltage for the ride was well into the tens of millions.
  • webboo
    Garry H wrote:

I have just cycled 1700 miles today though. Average voltage for the ride was well into the tens of millions.
    I had an easy day as well.
  • figbat wrote:
    This thread came to mind today. I own a few bicycles and ride them on and off. I'm not sure what that makes me, but I did have an epiphany today, as I walked in to my living room and glanced at the road bike leaning against the wall - does having a bike in the house make me a “cyclist”? It’s not been there long but I did feel like I had joined some sort of elite, for whom the shed or garage are not good enough for their bike. For me it’s simply a space issue... there’s no room in the garage or shed for this new bike.

Cycling epiphany.

Elite.

Heroic.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Webboo wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

I did that as warm up.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    Webboo wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

I did that as warm up.

I know. I saw you as I powered past you, on my bmx.
  • Was that you? Lookin' good my man. I liked your gnarly 360 tabletop endo 180 kick flip over the speed bump. Well rad.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • figbat wrote:
    This thread came to mind today. I own a few bicycles and ride them on and off. I'm not sure what that makes me.

A man who owns a couple of bicycles, I'd say.

Just hazarding a guess, like.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    Was that you? Lookin' good my man. I liked your gnarly 360 tabletop endo 180 kick flip over the speed bump. Well rad.
    The Skyways almosr melted under my sheer power.
  • figbat wrote:
    I walked in to my living room and glanced at the road bike leaning against the wall - does having a bike in the house make me a “cyclist”? It’s not been there long but I did feel like I had joined some sort of elite.

Nope. Sorry. Just a bloke with a bicycle in his living room. No heroic actions there, medals denied.

I often find bicycles in our kitchen but that's only because I've been too lazy to move them into the garage after I've got home from work and it's got all dark and well scared outside. Fukkked if I'm going outside when it's dark - the dark is full of mental people and killer rapists.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.