ID for CX wheels with 33c Tires?

ctp046
ctp046 Posts: 46
edited September 2017 in Cyclocross
I’m looking at getting some new wheels built and I’m undecided on what the ID of the rims should be. My bike doesn’t fit much more than 33c tires so assume I’m sticking with 33c’s.

Options based on the rims I’m looking at are ID of 19, 21, 23 (and I could even stretch to 25 but I assume that’s way overkill).

Tires are currently specialized Tracers and at time Specialized Terras (just because I can get them at awesome prices) and I’ll probably stick with those. Tires are run tubeless.

Recommendations/Experience with wheelsets with ID from 19 to 25 with 33c tires are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Mine are 18mm ID and I run 38c's without any issues at all.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • I think I'm at about 15mm ID right now and running 33c's without problem. However, there seems to be a wider is better movement going on at the moment (more aero, better supported tire/less tire squirm) so I'm wondering how far I can take it before things get too wide (tires shoulders too square, higher risk of rim damage).
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I've got 25mm ID rims on one my cross bikes. Gives a noticeably nicer tyre profile.
    Having said that I really don't think it makes much difference with CX.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    As others have said, a wider rim will increase the effective width of the tyre. One significant impact of this is that your mud clearance will be reduced; how relevant this is to you depends on the type of riding you do, and how much clearance your frame offers. This is particularly an issue in sticky mud conditions; I have seen people dragging bikes where the wheels literally won't go round...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    As others have said, a wider rim will increase the effective width of the tyre. One significant impact of this is that your mud clearance will be reduced; how relevant this is to you depends on the type of riding you do, and how much clearance your frame offers. This is particularly an issue in sticky mud conditions; I have seen people dragging bikes where the wheels literally won't go round...
    Hillingdon? :D
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    This is particularly an issue in sticky mud conditions; I have seen people dragging bikes where the wheels literally won't go round...
    Hillingdon? :D[/quote]
    That was a bit different; if I recall correctly it was a combination of mud and grass that caused the problem at Hillingdon that year, and even then it only seemed to affect some riders. I was actually thinking of the Nationals at Derby a few years back; it had rained earlier in the week and then dried out for a couple of days, which turned the mud into glue. Everyone with a pit crew was doing half lap bike changes, and those of us without pit crews were doing a lot of extra running, over nominally rideable terrain, in an attempt to save our bikes. I've experienced the same thing elsewhere, but Derby was probably the worst...
    Pannier, 120rpm.