Bespoke seatpost solution

chortlon-sim
chortlon-sim Posts: 135
edited September 2017 in Workshop
My 2011 Cube Aerium Pro seatpost clamp has sheared. Cube have discontinued the part and none of the bike shops I've asked can help. I've asked a machinest at our club and he thinks it's too intricate to reproduce cheaply.

It's an aero seat post and seemingly no other manufacturer produces one that would fit. However, it is probably easier to get a seatpost built with its consistent alu or carbon tube rather than the top clamp.

Can anyone suggest a company that can build a seatpost to a specific tube specification before it makes the whole frame redundant?

Thanks

Comments

• Sorry - just trying to follow.

So seat post clamp has sheared meaning that you can't clamp the existing seat post into the frame?

So why a new seat post?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • My 2011 Cube Aerium Pro seatpost clamp has sheared. Cube have discontinued the part and none of the bike shops I've asked can help. I've asked a machinest at our club and he thinks it's too intricate to reproduce cheaply.

It's an aero seat post and seemingly no other manufacturer produces one that would fit. However, it is probably easier to get a seatpost built with its consistent alu or carbon tube rather than the top clamp.

Can anyone suggest a company that can build a seatpost to a specific tube specification before it makes the whole frame redundant?

Thanks

There are companies now you can upload the 3D model to that will 3D print in a variety of materials by a price by complexity and weight.

You can have it done in plastics, metals even.

If it's a part that size, I'm guessing you could find a friend somewhere (or on a forum) draw it for you and then upload it to such a site for a quote.

I'm going to guess $50 to $75 in plastic and $100 in metal.
  • Sorry - just trying to follow.

So seat post clamp has sheared meaning that you can't clamp the existing seat post into the frame?

So why a new seat post?

The (separate) clamp that attaches the seat rails to the seat post has failed. This part and the seatpost itself is obsolete
  • Ahhh - got ya: seat clamp not seat post clamp.

Post the diameter of the seat post - someone may have something we can match it to - I for one can try it against both Soloist and a Ridley Cheetah aero seat posts for you.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Post some piccies? Most bike manufacturers sub-contract their component manufacture - you'll probably find the seatpost uses a fairly common design of saddle clamp assembly that is used by other manufacturers, or something similar that can be modified.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Post some piccies? Most bike manufacturers sub-contract their component manufacture - you'll probably find the seatpost uses a fairly common design of saddle clamp assembly that is used by other manufacturers, or something similar that can be modified.

Thanks, how do I load photos?
  • Monty Dog wrote:

Thanks, how do I load photos?

They need to be on a host like flickr or else... then you press the img button and you insert the url of the photo, which should be a .jpg address
    left the forum March 2023
  • Obviously not that urgent .....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Probably upgraded... :wink:

Just spoken to third bikeshop about it and same response. Manufacturing a single item would cost a fortune and a new frame is the answer. Not quite sure how to measure it other than two longest lengths but that gives no indication of curve.
  • Crap...

Personally I value reliability and availability of generic spare parts, which is why I got a frame with BSA, standard 31.8 seatpost, standard 1 1/8 steerer, external cabling etc... maybe worth considering it next time.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    Try dropping into a local engineering shop, one with lathes, milling machines etc. Somewhere that's usually down a back alley, and with a staff of around 4 or five, including the cat.
    I work with a lot of photo gear, and replacement parts that Leica have quoted me hundreds for, I've had made up in similar places for 20 quid. They're usually pretty keen to do something out of the ordinary.

:)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Just spoken to third bikeshop about it and same response. Manufacturing a single item would cost a fortune and a new frame is the answer. Not quite sure how to measure it other than two longest lengths but that gives no indication of curve.

Right.

Picture of seat post.

Picture of broken clamp

Draw around base of seat post and put diameters next to it

There are always ways round things - even if you end up bonding it all together. I once had a seat post clamp (built in one on an Gitane steel frame that I used as a winter bike when I had no money) snap on me.

Solution: drill hole through seat frame, insert seat post at correct, drill hole through seat post, whack large screw through.
    Unnoticeable unless you look for it, lasted forever.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's the clamp that holds the saddle on I think, not the seatclamp.

New models look the same - seems weird they'll design a new seatpost each time.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    It's the clamp that holds the saddle on I think, not the seatclamp.

New models look the same - seems weird they'll design a new seatpost each time.

Yup - I know that.

It was just an example of how to work around seemingly insurmountable problems.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Er Ok.....
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • After 5 weeks now sorted by Paul at Rick Green Cycles Handforth. By chance had an old Taiwanese clamp sitting in a box of cycling goodies. So no joy from national bike shop Cycle Surgery but LBS comes up trumps.