Schwalbe Tyres

maximus2k17
maximus2k17 Posts: 6
edited September 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
What are the lightest Schwalbe MTB tyres that are available?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Go on the Schwalbe website and do some research.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Probably Racing Ralph Liteskin.

I don't recommend Liteskins, they puncture easily. The slight weight penalty is worth having the Snakeskins.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use Ron/Ralph liteskin, never had a puncture (tubeless).

Furious Freds are lighter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    I use Ron/Ralph liteskin, never had a puncture (tubeless).

Furious Freds are lighter.

I'll admit I had tubes when I first had the Ralphs. I then converted an already well worn tyre to tubeless and I was forever loosing air pressure and leaking sealant.

I much prefer the Rocket Ron Snakeskin as tubeless personally, but my comparison of Liteskin was perhaps not a fair one.

I still think the slight difference in weight is worth it for the extra protection of Snakeskin.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What are the lightest Schwalbe MTB tyres that are available?

For what use?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • I use a rocket ron front tyre, rear racing ralph.
    Racing ralph is to sketchy for a front tyre.

EVO version, not performance version.

I'd quite like to try the rock razor or thunder burt , but the centre tread looks so low I'd be worried they'd wear out too quickly. And they are not cheap.

I think ralph evo is the lightest I'd go for a rear tyre.

To be fair to Shwalbe, they are marketed as race day cross country tyres rather than hard core DH tyres that will last a few years.
  • Furious Fred are very light.

they are also narrow with an almost road tyre like centre tread and unconvincing shoulder tread. I believe that they cannot be set up tubeless very succesfully.

i use them for predominately fire trail riding and the road ride to the gravel. they run about as fast as road tyres on tarmac and are great on gravel. I have torn the sidewall on my rear tyre once on rocks and get the occasional pinch flat if I don't keep them pumped up to around 30psi.

It would be a skilled and confident MTBer that would use them on MTb trails, I imagine.