Thinking on getting a Elemnt Bolt - a few questions

Hendrix2430
Hendrix2430 Posts: 119
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I've been using a quad lock and iPhone with strava app on my bars. Although I'm getting on fairly well with this setup (though quite bulky), i've been thinking about getting a dedicated computer.

I ride alone most of the time and the strava provides real time maps, basic metrics including power which works quite well.

What I like about it : easy to read and manipulate maps, moving the screen around to see where to go, strava live segments and easy sync obviously.

What I would like, and unsure if the wahoo provides : better tracking (not sure as it's gps too), more metrics (I assume it does), real time altimetry / gradient (can't find a definite on this), strava live segments, seamless integration to strava.

What do you guys think? As compared to an Iphone + Strava app, does the Wahoo Bolt :

- provide better tracking?
- more detailed metrics? Can you see those on strava?
- Real time gradient? That's a big one for me...
- Strava live segments? Do you need your phone with you for this? I'm hoping it's not a necessity
- Easy sync to strava

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    If you use the search function, there are stacks of threads re the Wahoo Elemnt series and dedicated cycling computers v smart phones.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • What I would like, and unsure if the wahoo provides : better tracking (not sure as it's gps too), more metrics (I assume it does), real time altimetry / gradient (can't find a definite on this), strava live segments, seamless integration to strava.

What do you guys think? As compared to an Iphone + Strava app, does the Wahoo Bolt :

- provide better tracking?
    - more detailed metrics? Can you see those on strava?
    - Strava live segments? Do you need your phone with you for this? I'm hoping it's not a necessity
    - Easy sync to strava

Thanks a lot!
    I've never used the phone combination for tracking but I do have a Wahoo, and the answers to those questions I can answer on are...

- provide better tracking? Can't comment - don't know. But a dedicated GPS should be better than a phone that is also doing lots of other things??
    - more detailed metrics? Can you see those on strava? So a GPS like that will allow you to view cadence/HRM/speed/power (if so inclined)/real time elevation/grade of slope etc. You just need to configure your screens. There is also a climbing page on the Wahoo
    - Real time gradient? That's a big one for me... See above
    - Strava live segments? Do you need your phone with you for this? I'm hoping it's not a necessity Available but I believe you need your phone with you.
    - Easy sync to strava Synced to Strava as soon as the ride is over (provided you have internet connection set up on the Wahoo device). When I get home and stop the ride, it automatically syncs to my Strava, over my home WiFi before I get in the door.

I hope this helps.
  • As above, but I would add that the map isn't one you can browse around. It only shows the area you are in, you can't look around the map in adjacent areas (unless you zoom out, but then you lose detail to some extent).

I love mine it's a great cycling computer.
  • Don't rule out the Lezyne Super GPS, which seems to tick all your boxes, at ~50% of the price if you buy at the right time eg. Probikekit with a 12% promo code and Topcashback.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • You don't need your phone with you for Strava live segments. You only need to have the segments starred and they will show on the Wahoo and also give you a countdown as you approach them.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    LiveTrack on the Wahoo Elemnt series is now excellent after the recent update giving your position on a live map, plus all the data a coach monitoring you could want.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653

It's a great device on the whole, but this is one thing it doesn't do very well. Seems to lag behind your actual position quite a lot, and doesn't recognise shallow gradients for ages. No worse than my old Garmin, but no better either.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    JamesEs wrote:

It's a great device on the whole, but this is one thing it doesn't do very well. Seems to lag behind your actual position quite a lot, and doesn't recognise shallow gradients for ages. No worse than my old Garmin, but no better either.

I think it's far worse for this than my old 510.

The Bolt has quite a few (basic) faults but i'd have one any day over a phone strapped to my handlebars.
  • I got one... cheers - a nifty little device! 8)