Winter disc bike with certain criteria

rando
rando Posts: 285
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
I am wanting a road bike for winter use that meets the following criteria ( maybe the answer is it doesn't exist)

Hydraulic disc brakes
Internal cabling
Take full mudguards as will be used on club rides
Under 10kg weight & under £2000 cost
Endurance geometry as I have odd proportions and these fit better (current best bike is Trek Domane)
Groupset 105 or SRAM equal or even SRAM 1x11.

Any ideas very welcome as struggling to find anything.
Thanks.

Comments

• Pinnacle Dolomite 5 or 6 plus a spare set of lighter wheels?
  • JayBM
    JayBM Posts: 20
  • Another Dolan-flavoured broken record, but this time the RDX. Waaaaaay under budget too.
  • Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc, although since the recall back before I bought mine in May, I'm still waiting for Cube to re-introduce their Attain Disc mudguards (last I read was ETA ~November '17)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rando
    Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc, although since the recall back before I bought mine in May, I'm still waiting for Cube to re-introduce their Attain Disc mudguards (last I read was ETA ~November '17)

Looks good and currently on offer at Rutland cycles for £1350 and not too far from me to see on sizing.
  • rando
    JayBM wrote:

Do you have the Dolan ADX then ? If so what's the ride like ? Never ridden a Ti bike before.
    Now I know this is being picky but is the cabling on the ADX at the bottom bracket the same as the RDX ? Saw a photo in the your bikes section of the RDX and it looked like the cables are hanging down at the BB.
  • Wilf Roberts
    Wilf Roberts Posts: 71
    edited September 2017
    If you're already thinking about up to £2k, the Fairlight Strael ticks all the boxes and is bloomin' handsome to boot. Quite a lot of geometry adjustment possible too with their sizing.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    A lot of gravel bikes have external cables but full outer cable runs.
  • rando
    Just spotted a Giant Defy Advanced Pro 2 2017 at Rutland cycles too on offer at £1999.
    Looks like Giant do specific mudguards for them too. Promising.
    Trip to Rutland i think.
  • +1 for the Cube Attain GTC Pro disc.
  • rando
    If you're already thinking about up to £2k, the Fairlight Strael ticks all the boxes and is bloomin' handsome to boot. Quite a lot of geometry adjustment possible too with their sizing.

Not internal cables though ! Just prefer the clean lines of internal.
  • The mudguard issue is beginning to concern me, the weather is getting more iffy and I'm getting increasingly reluctant to let my Cube melt in the rain without these fancy guards, there hasn't been any news I've read for a while and I don't want mine to end up being a strictly summer bike (while my Voodoo in FatNotFat mode is decent training bike and commuter).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I've got one if these. I love it and it fits all your criteria as well as looking good. Available in silver but I've got the green one

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orro-Terra-Gra ... gLnpfD_BwE
  • The mudguard issue is beginning to concern me, the weather is getting more iffy and I'm getting increasingly reluctant to let my Cube melt in the rain without these fancy guards, there hasn't been any news I've read for a while and I don't want mine to end up being a strictly summer bike (while my Voodoo in FatNotFat mode is decent training bike and commuter).
    I spoke to the guys at the Durham Cube store the other day, they've been told they're "imminent".

What that means in the real world is anyone's guess.

I'm not too bothered, a bit of rain isn't going to hurt my bike too much.
  • rando wrote:

Not internal cables though ! Just prefer the clean lines of internal.

Sorry, my mistake. Shame, it's a pretty bike, that.
  • Plodder73 wrote:
    I've got one if these. I love it and it fits all your criteria as well as looking good. Available in silver but I've got the green one

I've heard these can have issues with water getting in and killing the BBs - has yours been ok in this regard?
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Another Dolan-flavoured broken record, but this time the RDX. Waaaaaay under budget too.

+1 see mine on this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13083231

9.6kgs, £1000 with guards and then I spent £300 on wheels. All boxes ticked.
  • Plodder73 wrote:
    I've got one if these. I love it and it fits all your criteria as well as looking good. Available in silver but I've got the green one

I've heard these can have issues with water getting in and killing the BBs - has yours been ok in this regard?

Ha ha, no mine had a new BB after a short while, replaced under warranty with an upgraded part. The standard BB is shite I have to admit. Apart from that it's great!
  • internal routing may look nice but for a winter bike where the cables will need changing more frequently it is not a sensible choice. you are buying a winter bike to be sensible so be sensible and external routing.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • + 1 for the Orro Terra. Great fun to ride at any time and meets all the things you wanted in thé higher specification they offer. Really planted, not slow and fun to have the capacity to go off road too.
    Lovely bike to look at especially in the green as per previous post!
  • https://www.orrobikes.com/bikes/road/te ... gJYp_D_BwE

This is the spec I got earlier this year. Now showing as sold out and I can't see anyone else stocking it unfortunately. Lower spec model is available
    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orro-Terra-Gra ... gLU0_D_BwE

Mine was a really good price at £1300. I think this price was done to promote the bike.
  • JayBM
    JayBM Posts: 20
    rando wrote:
    JayBM wrote:

Do you have the Dolan ADX then ? If so what's the ride like ? Never ridden a Ti bike before.
    Now I know this is being picky but is the cabling on the ADX at the bottom bracket the same as the RDX ? Saw a photo in the your bikes section of the RDX and it looked like the cables are hanging down at the BB.

Yep, I've had the Di2 version for 3 months. Ride is fantastic; plenty quick and sharp enough for what I want but with 32mm tyres it smooths out the majority of our poor roads. I rode the 600km ExeBuzzard Audax 2 days after getting the bike, it was faultless.

As for the cabling; I'll double check later but I'm fairly certain the gear cables are all internal but the rear brake might run along the outside of chainstay.
  • Plodder73 wrote:
    Plodder73 wrote:

Ha ha, no mine had a new BB after a short while, replaced under warranty with an upgraded part. The standard BB is shite I have to admit. Apart from that it's great!

That's a bit duff, I wonder if they've upgraded them as standard for 2018? Several posts on their twitter and Facebook pages suggest it's a common problem. Sounds like they're sorting it out under warranty, but still...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    + 1 for the Orro Terra. Great fun to ride at any time and meets all the things you wanted in thé higher specification they offer. Really planted, not slow and fun to have the capacity to go off road too.
    Lovely bike to look at especially in the green as per previous post!
    There's a used Terra frameset in large (56cm) in the classifieds here. I'd be tempted but it doesn't really offer anything over my Pro6 other than a bit of "ooh shiny".
  • rando
    internal routing may look nice but for a winter bike where the cables will need changing more frequently it is not a sensible choice. you are buying a winter bike to be sensible so be sensible and external routing.

I won't be changing any cables ! That will be the LBS job so don't need to be sensible.
  • rando
    Plodder73 wrote:

Really like the look of the Orro Terra but just not sure the geometry will work for me as the TT and reach maybe too much.
    Need to track one down in XL and see how it fits. Great price though for bike and some nice colours.
  • rando

Good find - on my potential list now. Could even upgrade wheels for those prices.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Genesis Datum 20? The outgoing model is £1500 at Rutland at the moment if you're the right size

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/ro ... lue_374135

Internal cables
    Hydraulic discs
    Mudguard mounts / clearance
    105 groupset apart from cranks

They also have the Datum 30 (Ultegra, better wheels and brakes) for £2000, but only in XS
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Ignore that; I see you're shopping in the XL size range...