Should I be pushing Evans for more compensation?

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 795
edited March 2018 in Commuting general
I bought a bike from them in the first week of August. I noticed it creaking on the ride home and despite multiple visits to their workshop it's still not fixed. It's had 3 bottom bracket replacements, a chainset replacement and is now getting the frame replaced. A couple of days after buying the bike they began a free £100 clothing voucher promo (lg, kalf and fwe clothing only) and as a goodwill gesture they have added that to my account. I'm not a fan of the clothing and there isn't much to choose from in my size, but it's something I guess. The bottom line is I've spent £1300 and my bike has spent the best part of 6 weeks in their workshop.

I'd normally just ask for a refund and forget about it, but I really like the bike. I'm umming and ahhing about making more of a fuss, or maybe I should just put it down to bad luck and hope the problem is sorted with the frame replacement. Thoughts?

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    What sort of bottom bracket is it? I'm guessing some sort of press fit. It seems some people have no issues others have lots of problems. I get the impression the ones that the difference is how good the tolerances are in frame manufacturing. So it could be that you have a bad frame and a new frame may fix it. If not what will they do next? Will they cough up for one of the adapters that some people have had success with?
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    It sounds to me like they are going out of their way to sort the issue out. I'm surprised they haven't offered a replacement bike, rather than going thorough the various replacements. It is hugely annoying for you, but I don't see the shop being at fault here.

What bike is it? It's possible others on here have the same model and may have similar issues and, possibly, solutions.
  • It's a threaded bottom bracket. The bike is an Arkose 4. Normally they would have just replaced it but there aren't any more in stock so they can't. I guess if the frame doesn't fix it then it'll be a refund, which is annoying considering I bought new tyres, bottle cages and saddle for it.

I think you're right and I should probably just suck it up. They are doing everything they can, it's just really annoying that it's taking so long and I've barely been able to ride it.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    What the shop mechanics doing?
    Spitting on a finger and saying, this week we'll swap out another threadedBB because it is an east wind?

If this was my bike with no 'shop warranty' to fret about, I'd have stripped the bike back completely, rebuilt, lubricated, tightened where appropriate. If only as I would see it as a challenge to my ability as a home mechanic.

I'd just get the shop to replace the whole bloody thing.
  • Instead of compensation, I'd be asking to return the bike and taking your money elsewhere. That way the shop can return the bike to the manufacturer and you get a shiny new bike.

Anything you've bought for it can be taken off and you can keep for whatever you get next.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    They seem to be trying a lot of different things for you so the choice is really at what point do you cut your loses and go for another bike / refund.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I assume they can replicate the creaking ? Or is just when you ride it.

As we've seen from many threads on here - a noise isn't always from where you think it's coming from.
  • veronese68
    Slowbike wrote:
    As we've seen from many threads on here - a noise isn't always from where you think it's coming from.
    Having got my assumption about type of BB completely wrong I'd go with this. As somebody said up thread I'd be stripping everything off and cleaning and greasing threads etc. But that's if I was doing it myself. Hopefully if they build up a new frame they will do it carefully and grease or antiseize will be used at every point where one part meets another. That should fix it, but there's a good chance building like that would also fix the original frame and we'll never know what the fault was.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    You could be cheeky and push for the LTD Di2 1x11 model as a replacement. The new models all seem to be 1x, so not a like for like available.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Slowbike wrote:
    I assume they can replicate the creaking ? Or is just when you ride it.

I had this, sounded like bottom bracket and was lower headset bearing in the end.
  • So, just to follow up. They tried replacing the frame and the same issue occurred. They changed the chainset from the Praxis one that was on it, to a 105 and that seems to have done the job (fingers crossed!). It's been super frustrating being without a new bike for 6 weeks, but to be fair to the mechanics at Evans they have done everything they could. At the end of it, I now have a full 105 groupset too so I think things worked out pretty fairly in the end.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    So quite likely that the chainrings weren't tightened up enough then .... ?
  • veronese68
    Prhymeate wrote:
    At the end of it, I now have a full 105 groupset too so I think things worked out pretty fairly in the end.
    Glad it's sorted and you still have the bike you wanted.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Slowbike wrote:
    a noise isn't always from where you think it's coming from.

100% this. I spent a couple of days mucking around with my old roadie, lube and tightening galore and eventually gave up, When I took out my MTB later on the 2nd day I realised it was my knee.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • i have also purchased an Arkose 4 and have had similar issues. It is 6 weeks old and i have had the chain replaced cassette replaced and now i have a ticking from the bottom bracket with the odd clunk when in top gear and moving at speed. It is booked in again to try and resolve the issue. :x
  • Glad it's sorted because the next step was a knee replacement :D
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Evans cycles were a nightmare when I bought s pinnacle lithium. They got the bike ready after a massive unexplained delay. Then I took it for a test ride and they hadn't tightened the rear wheel. Also the gears weren't sey up correctly. Be careful all! I used the Gateshead store.
  • Just a heads up in case any other Arkose 4 owners are reading this. I received an email the other day regarding a product recall for some 2016 and all 2017 Arkose 4 models. Rear wheel needs replacing...

https://static.evanscycles.com/producti ... cement.pdf
  • My arkose was full of creaks until I removed the crankset and bb - no grease on the BB threads. refitted with grease and tis all ok now.

Now if only it was as simple to fix my creaky giro privateer shoes..
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    So, another update.

The creak persists. Despite the wheel recall and various other attempts at fixing and tests run by Evans on their own frame jig.

To cut a long story short they are now offering to just replace it with a Dolomite 4 which is arguably an upgrade as it's an Ultegra setup compared to the 105 on the Arkose. My only slight issue is that I wanted to have the option of wider tyres with fitted mudguards and the Dolomite only has room for 28's + guards. They could replace it with the current Arkose 4, but I'm not so keen on the fluro paint or the fact that it's a 1x... Maybe my best option is just to get the Dolomite 4, sell it, and look for something else altogether.

FWIW, the staff have been incredibly patient and so helpful. I definitely plan on contacting someone higher up to pass on my gratitude once this is all over.