Slowly getting fitter, and winter riding advice needed

Comments

• ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Winter riding eh?

Well you could always ..... Zwift!

*runs away quickly*

I once was sceptical of indoor training too....

.... until I tried it.

Jesus! Zwift is harder work than my rides outside. If you're cycling for fitness, you can get a much more intense workout on Zwift with a smart trainer than plodding around outside for the sake of it, especially if you live somewhere flat. Don't be mislead by the cute graphics thinking it's just a game.
    I did think I'd stay dry on Zwift but I've never experienced perspiration like it. I'd highly recommend a fan, yoga mat underneath and a spare towel. At least there's no punctures in the dark+rain or dangerous car drivers.
    If Zwift was good enough for Mat Hayman, it's good enough for us.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Dannbodge wrote:
    That's my plan this year.

I can do cold and dry, warm and wet but not cold and wet.
    If I plan on a ride and it's raining, I'll Zwift instead.

do both ... Zwift in the morning when its cold and dark and get the "mileage" :? in ..... when it brighens up, beak out the MTB or CX bike and go find some mud !
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    fat daddy wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:
    That's my plan this year.

I can do cold and dry, warm and wet but not cold and wet.
    If I plan on a ride and it's raining, I'll Zwift instead.

do both ... Zwift in the morning when its cold and dark and get the "mileage" :? in ..... when it brighens up, beak out the MTB or CX bike and go find some mud !

That would involve owning a CX bike or MTB though :lol:

I will be going out, I did all last winter. Zwift just gives me a good backup option andchance to improve, rather than going through winter just maintaining my fitness/ftp etc.
  • As advised by quite a few of you, I went to my local Aldi last night and picked up a few things:

- Base layer long sleeve top (I think I could wear this under a t shirt as it's too thin to wear on it's own)
    - Full length padded cycling tights (much warmer than they looked and seem to be lined with lovely fleecy material.
    - Some cheap cycling sunglasses that are really lightweight so hopefully won't slip down my nose.
    - A little light to clip to my helmet. It was so cheap I thought it was worth it for an additional light source. Might come in useful if I get a puncture in the dark?

I haven't actually ridden in any of it yet, but tried the clothes on and they fit. The sizing does seem to run quite small, so I'm glad I got medium and not small!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Base layers are designed to go under everything else, so base layer, bibs, jersey/jacket help trap the heat an keep you warm for one an help wick seat away from your skin. Tights fleecy inners will be great if we get a proper winter this year just invest in some overshoes to help keep your feet warm too.
  • Take a deep breath, get some cold / wet weather gear, get out there. It's only the months from December to February you have to worry about really. 12 weeks isn't much to be concerned about. Winter miles = summer smiles.

Thanks, it would be a shame for me to undo all the hard work. I just hate winter with a passion - I just get the urge to hibernate, but maybe cycling would help with that...

Nothing like the feeling of finishing a winter ride. Gotta earn those summer nights.
  • Really disappointed - the fleecy tights from Aldi split on the seam after just 2 rides! I guess you get what you pay for and will spend a bit more next time!

It's a shame because they were really comfortable and kept my legs really nice and warm. Can anyone recommend a better source that won't break the bank? I've discovered that in the cold weather I get cramp in my legs unless they aren toasty warm!
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I can't comment on women's fit but I like my Altura Stream tights. I also like the Polaris 3/4 (they do full length ones too). Both are waist tights. Inexpensive brands include Lusso, Decathlon, Halfords (you can order online and collect in store) and Wiggle own-brand dhb.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling ... ype=Tights
    https://totalwomenscycling.com/road-cyc ... ter-tights
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    As mentioned by others, Aldi and Decathlon are good places to start. If you have toeclips, then try waterproof socks from Aldi at 10 quid although overshoes are good if they will fit in. A good pair of gloves, a cycling beenie for under the helmet. safety glasses as mentioned.
    Was in Aldi last week and they have the remnants for their September cycle offer and picked up a beanie for I think £5, and a new pair of waterproof socks for something like £8. Took some sifting to find the size but got their in the end. Only has to last a few months, although most of the Aldi stuff is pretty well made, and the have a good returns policy for faulty items. As for lights, look at the below
    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Izone-ARC-650- ... Jk0vD_BwE#
  • Lots of vitamin D from increased exposure to daylight, and increased levels of endorphins, will help make the winter months less of a trauma.
  • Lots of vitamin D from increased exposure to daylight, and increased levels of endorphins, will help make the winter months less of a trauma.

Vitamin D comes from direct sunlight on bare skin, it doesn't come from just daylight. In the UK in winter there usually isn't much sun and when cycling with winter kit on the amount of skin you have exposed to this small amount of sun is basically your face which is not enough to absorb any noticable amount of vitamin D. You will not get 'lots of vitamin D' by cycling outside in the UK in winter.
  • dannbodge
    This weekend was perfect weather down south for winter riding, cold but dry and lovely and sunny.

Today, I'd stay indoors. Wet windy and cold.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Brakeless wrote:
    You will not get 'lots of vitamin D' by cycling outside in the UK in winter.
    Absolutely no chance! Even if you could cycle in just a pair of pants/knickers the sun is too weak between late September and March to be of any benefit.

Vitamin D3 supplementation can help if your levels are low but you should establish whether you're deficient before doing that.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Simon E wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    You will not get 'lots of vitamin D' by cycling outside in the UK in winter.
    Absolutely no chance! Even if you could cycle in just a pair of pants/knickers the sun is too weak between late September and March to be of any benefit.

Vitamin D3 supplementation can help if your levels are low but you should establish whether you're deficient before doing that.

Depends which country you’re cycling in. :wink:

Even in the U.K. you’ll get more riding in the winter sun, than riding a stationary bike in a shed / gym.
  • Dannbodge wrote:
    This weekend was perfect weather down south for winter riding, cold but dry and lovely and sunny.

Today, I'd stay indoors. Wet windy and cold.

The first point is very true, for your second point, there’s #5 and #9.
  • Even in the U.K. you’ll get more riding in the winter sun, than riding a stationary bike in a shed / gym.

No you won't
  • Brakeless wrote:
    Even in the U.K. you’ll get more riding in the winter sun, than riding a stationary bike in a shed / gym.

No you won't

Do explain. I could do with a laugh.
  • fat daddy

here you go .. laugh your socks off

Winter sunlight. In the UK, sunlight doesn't contain enough UVB radiation in winter (October to early March) for our skin to be able to make vitamin D. During these months, we rely on getting our vitamin D from food sources (including fortified foods) and supplements

from here
    https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Summerhealt ... light.aspx
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Brakeless wrote:

No you won't

I have an extensive browsing history when it comes to vitamin D since my wife has three times been properly deficient, and I suspect our learned friend is correct. Extract from a 2014 review paper:

"Vitamin D and sun exposure

Vitamin D in the body may come both from dietary sources and from synthesis in the skin triggered by sun exposure, or more specifically ultraviolet B (UVB) irradiation. UVB irradiation stimulates cutaneous (skin) synthesis of cholecalciferol, which is stored in adipose tissue or undergoes hydroxylation in the liver to 25(OH)D, and then further hydroxylation in the kidney to the biologically active form, 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D (IOM 2011; Vidailhet et al. 2012).

UVB sunlight exposure, rather than diet, has been reported as the main source for the majority of the population (Calvo et al. 2005). Several environmental factors, such as latitude and prevailing weather conditions, determine whether sunlight of sufficient strength is available to stimulate the conversion of 7-dehydrocholesterol in the skin to cholecalciferol. Synthesis of vitamin D varies during the year with peak levels of plasma 25(OH)D recorded following the summer months. In the northern hemisphere at latitudes greater than around 40°N (north of Madrid, see Table 1), sunlight is not strong enough to trigger synthesis of vitamin D in the skin from October to March. Therefore, substantial proportions of the European population rely on dietary vitamin D and body stores to maintain a healthy vitamin D status, particularly during the winter season (O'Connor & Benelam 2011)."

And dietary vitamin D isn't so easy to come by. There was some talk I think last year about the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in older adults in the UK, and some suggesting taking it as a supplement in the winter months. Which reminds me that I must start nagging my wife again...
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    edited November 2017
    I see you’ve both made the ( wrong ) assumption that there is nowhere where on the planet, where the sun is of sufficient strength to keep the VitD levels up, during the ‘winter’ months. If you go somewhere nice and sunny ( like the Southern Hemisphere ) for a bit, during the winter months, but you must be above 33 degrees of Latitude, in the Southern Hemisphere or below 33 degrees of Latitude ( if you’re staying in the Northern hemisphere).
  • I see you’ve both made the ( wrong ) assumption that there is nowhere where on the planet, where the sun is of sufficient strength to keep the VitD levels up. If you go somewhere nice and sunny ( like the southern hemisphere ) for a bit, during the winter months. You can even take your ( failed ) bit of internet librarianism smugness, and use it as a pessary, it might help.

The only one who has posted anything incorrect is you, as usual.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You can even take your ( failed ) bit of internet librarianism smugness, and use it as a pessary, it might help.

If only YOU would do that....
  • dannbodge
    Correct me if I'm wrong but you stated "in the UK" which is what Keef replied to with his TLDR paragraph.
    You can't then say he's wrong by moving your goalposts to the whole world.
  • :roll: You lot are worse than the Snowheads forum sometimes.

If it wasn't for this pesky job I'd be riding today, and just you watch it snow on Saturday
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Just take the tablet every day. They are cheap and sort it out.
    When you are super-old, like me, accepting advice that does not suit your prejudices becomes easier.
    'fool'
  • Dannbodge wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but you stated "in the UK" which is what Keef replied to with his TLDR paragraph.
    You can't then say he's wrong by moving your goalposts to the whole world.

Yes I can, I did as well.
  • fat daddy
    The good thing about the internet is no matter how bad you feel, how stupid you are, how many fcuk ups you make ..... there is always someone worse off than you.

I feel in milemunchers case though, he is actually at the bottom of the internet.

Even my 6y/o admits when she is wrong ... but this continual changing of stories to cover up the perpetual stream of "wrong" .... you are actually an adult arnt you ? ... be a man , admit when you are wrong
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Oh goody, MM is back with a vengeance
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    fat daddy wrote:
    The good thing about the internet is no matter how bad you feel, how stupid you are, how many fcuk ups you make ..... there is always someone worse off than you.

I feel in milemunchers case though, he is actually at the bottom of the internet.

Even my 6y/o admits when she is wrong ... but this continual changing of stories to cover up the perpetual stream of "wrong" .... you are actually an adult arnt you ? ... be a man , admit when you are wrong

Perhaps we could ask Dave Gorman to create a found poem in his honour?
  • fat daddy wrote:

In the (extremely unlikely) event that I am ever ‘wrong’ I’ll admit it. As yet, it hasn’t happened, ever.