Prescription riding specs

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
I usually wear contacts but due to an ongoing issue with dry eyes I've been advised to avoid them. Being blind as a bat I cant get away without glasses so, a quick google to change my Oakleys to prescription made my wallet cry, £300 is a silly money for the lens.
So, any suggestions where I can look?

Comments

• As a glasses wearer I find this a deeply frustrating issue. Like you I'm simply unwilling to spend loads of money on a pair of sunglasses that I'll probably sit on or lose. I feel quite strongly that glasses wearers are quite badly done to in the marketplace, although I understand that getting a curved prescription lens is the issue. Its particularly annoying when you can pick up a reasonable pair of sports sunglasses in Decathlon for about a tenner that if you want prescription sunglasses it costs several times that. The only real solution that I've found is some sunglasses with rx inserts which are basically a thin frame that sits behind the tinted lens. They can have some issues with sweat and grime getting between the lens and the extra weight of the insert can make them slip down your nose. I have a pair of these

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/BBB/B ... asses/28DI

Which I got glazed here for £15

https://www.reglaze-glasses-direct.com/

Although I note that they are now doing replacement lenses for oakley-style frames for an additional £25
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I have prescription Oakley Flak Jackets XL
    and they are worth the expense as I wear them all the time not just on the bike. I also have a set of Oakley reading glasses with Oakley transition lenses and again are worth the money in my opinion.
  • Just reading this has reminded me I've got a pair of "Dennis Taylor" style, big square snooker glasses from ~20 years ago. My prescription has changed a bit since then, but I might dig them out to see how they are, given they are designed with tall lenses that are akin to a cycling aero position.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • If your not too fused on named brands.

These do the job.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    As a license holder, the DVSA expects me to 'use eyesight correction' when driving, as denoted by the code '01' at the side of each of my entitlements. I can see reasonably well and indeed drove for 12 years without specs (and no change in prescription between 15-29) before being told I need them when I applied for provisional cat D.

I don't wear glasses when I cycle, but where do I stand in a liability issue if I were to be involved in something. It'd be no great shake to spend out on a decent pair of Oakley or something because I'd just use them for work anyway, just wondering if I should.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • I dont like the idea of cycling glasses so when my last set broke i got a new frame (titanium so it is very light and it bends back well) and photochromatic anti reflective anti stratch lenes. They were expensive a bit over £300 but well worth it. I can now see riding into a low sun. You dont need cycling specific glasses you just need dam fine glasses that you can use all day everywhere.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Glasses are by far the cheapest in US at Costco. I just paid $235 for oakley, high index (my right eye is -9.0), tinted, etc. Same exact thing $200+ more at other places, e.g. Walmart. Not sure about UK though, but if you can get to one, I would at least look into it.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    While reading this I kept thinking, Do you really need some fancy named, so called cycling style sunglasses? Must you have Oakleys or some other "hot" brand? What about going to you Optometrist and simply getting a pair of decent script sunglasses from him?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I've use Optilabs for the last 10 or 12 years.
    https://www.optilabs.com/product-catego ... unglasses/
    My prescription is too strong for Oakley but I've had no issues with Optilabs and my current(third pair) are both Variofocal and Photochromic.I simply can't ride without glasses as everything is blurred and I've tried using my everyday glasses but for some reason my eyes tend to water with them.
    I've used my previous glasses for both Road and MTBing and they're pretty bombproof.My newest pair were about £280 but I tend to get away with changing them every 4 years and they're still cheaper than the £600+ glasses I wear everyday and replace every 2 years as my prescription gets gradually worse.
  • step83
    Thanks for the responses, I pinged reglaze glasses direct, unfortunately the base curve on the Jawbreakers is too much for them, they can do base 8 max. Jawbreakers come in at a 10.

Glen, those ones you linked they don't go to "blind as a bat" -5.50/-4.50 so wont work for me :(I do need to shield my eyes a bit from the wind mainly due to the dry eyes issue.

Ibbo68, they don't seem too bad something to bear in mind for sure, Solboys link brought the lens down to 220 which isn't far off some full glasses, ideal world they would be chromatics but cant have everything!

Food for thought for sure.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,008
    +1 for Optilabs.
    My first pair lasted for 7 years, unscratched lenses and frame fine, with lots of drops and shoves in back pocket, until I drove over them. Soft silicone bits had perished but the glasses were still comfortable.

I use photochromics which go virtually clear in the dark and are good in bright conditions. Note that the tint chemistry doesn't work at high temperature (well over UK temperatures, I discovered this in Greece at about 30C) and they stay clear. They will send you frames with non-prescription frames to try out out too.

Think they give a discount for the major UK cycling organisations if you ask.
  • tomb57
    tomb57 Posts: 2,043
    Just brought some sunwise glasses had the prescription and transition done by shamira first class job
    Really good yes they cost a lot but at least they're uk based , don't mind spending to support uk businesses.
    Whoops who did that!
  • step83
    shamira? haha wouldnt google that in front of your boss!

fumbling around the net I found Bloc do these for £60 with chromatics, and an insert upto =-6 an Cyl o2 is £10, an £6.95 next day delivery. Cheapest ive found so far, plus the lenses are replaceable

https://www.bloceyewear.com/bloc-titan-customisable-p7
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Step83 wrote:
    I usually wear contacts but due to an ongoing issue with dry eyes I've been advised to avoid them. Being blind as a bat I cant get away without glasses so, a quick google to change my Oakleys to prescription made my wallet cry, £300 is a silly money for the lens.
    So, any suggestions where I can look?

I got rudy projects from extreme eyewear - transitions and the got in my -5 prescription. cost me around £250.

Optilabs are a good budget option which I used for many years (but do look a bit goggly !) - Ive tried the glasses with inserts behind the lense - ok but lethal in the wet or if you steam up....

Have to say the rudy projects have been a different class - I'm the type of guy who loves a bargain - I buy lots of stuff used - but prescription spectacles for cycling is the one area I would say you get what you pay for,
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Step83 wrote:
    Thanks for the responses, I pinged reglaze glasses direct, unfortunately the base curve on the Jawbreakers is too much for them, they can do base 8 max. Jawbreakers come in at a 10.

Glen, those ones you linked they don't go to "blind as a bat" -5.50/-4.50 so wont work for me :(I do need to shield my eyes a bit from the wind mainly due to the dry eyes issue.

Ibbo68, they don't seem too bad something to bear in mind for sure, Solboys link brought the lens down to 220 which isn't far off some full glasses, ideal world they would be chromatics but cant have everything!

Food for thought for sure.

Have a word with extreme eyewear - they do glasses to a depth over and above what other places do
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I can also recommend Optilabs as long as you are not determined to have a fashionable brand name.

I used for many years a pair of Rudy Project Rydons with prescription insert and got on well with them. Last year I bought a pair of Optilabs Rascals with direct glaze prescription polarized blue mirror lens. They were a revelation. Significantly better vision than the insert Rydons, much lighter and less misting. Great for driving as well. I used to be put off buying Optilabs because of their appearance. Their latest range of specs look pretty good. At £109.95 I think they are good value.