Boardman MTB Team pedal adjustment?

pbassred
pbassred Posts: 208
edited September 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought these: https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/1008-boardman-mtb-team-pedal-16.html about 6 months or 1000 miles ago. They were a little stiff to turn. Not grabbingly, so but diffidently not spinney. They was a sample on the shop display which turned much more freely. I thought they might ease up as the grease gets moved around but they are still the same.
As you will see from the photo, they are different to Shimano. There is an Allen screw on the end. I don't know if that just a locking cap or the actual adjustment. I can't find a diagram or a you tube video.
Does anyone know how to slacken them off?

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Why do you want them to be 'spinney'?
    If they are working ok then just leave them as they are.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • I have one on each side and rotate them both about 85 times a minute. I actually have to push it round with my index finger. There is no free movement at all. You wouldn't accept that performance from a jockey wheel.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Pedals should rotate easily on the spindle. May be the bearings are too tight. The caps on the spindles should undo to give access to the locknut for the bearing cone, or at least that is how they are on my ritchey pedals. Note that the locknut is left hand thread on one of the pedals, I forget which one.
  • Message for posterity:-
    I removed the end cap from my left side pedal (anti-clock is off). Underneath is an 8mm nut. Removed that (anti-clock). Pulled the pedal off the spindle.
    The outer end is a ball race. The main shaft is just metal to metal and a lot of grease. There is no inner bearing. There is NO adjustment. So the main load is carried metal to metal. I don't think that its a very efficient bearing but at least we know.
    This answer would relate to both Boardman team and pro MTB pedals.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    That is normal, sleeve bearing near the crank and either sealed race bearing or cup with loose balls at other end. If you had the latter then the cup could have been done up too tight.