campagnolo athena lever question

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi, I am thinking ob buying this bike with campagnolo athena groupset, but the gear lever looks quite far away from actual brake lever, i thought it should be tighter behind it, am i right and is there an issue with this set up?
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/wilier-gtr-team-endurance-2016-campagnolo-athena/1242835269

Comments

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,941
    It looks like it's been photographed with the brake release button in the position you put it in to release the brakes to take the wheel out. Unlike Shimano, Campagnolo have this release at the levers/hoods. When activated the brake lever moves outwards.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Looking at the third shot of the front view looking at both levers, I'd say that they have had their quick release buttons pushed in. This is a position on campag levers that allows the brake calipers to open wider to enable easier wheel changes.

Other brands of brakes have the quick release on the actual caliper s themselves.
  • Ah right, didn't know about this. Where would this quick release lever be in the hood?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,577
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Ah right, didn't know about this. Where would this quick release lever be in the hood?
    A little round pin at the top of the brake lever push it in either direction depending on desired use.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • And that would cause the gear lever arm to move forward?
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    shiznit76 wrote:
    And that would cause the gear lever arm to move forward?

No. The gear lever does not move. The little button lets the brake lever move forward. This lets out some cable and the caliper opens up a bit, allowing you to remove your wheel.
  • lesfirth wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:
    And that would cause the gear lever arm to move forward?

No. The gear lever does not move. The little button lets the brake lever move forward. This lets out some cable and the caliper opens up a bit, allowing you to remove your wheel.
    D'oh, sorry, that's what i meant, the brake leaver

cheers