Basso Diamante

hubcap
hubcap Posts: 163
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
So I've got the itch for another bike and really like the look of the Diamante, I've done some googling for info and have found some but a lot of it is either related to the Diamante SV or older versions of the Diamante.

Anyone got some feedback on the latest model, I know they are supposed to be very stiff and racy, but would appreciate any first hand experience of the handling, comfort, stiffness, road buzz etc.

They are not a super popular bike so I'm not expecting a flood of replies but any info would be much appreciated...before I make a potentially very expensive mistake :wink:

Comments

• This one? Utterly lovely. Buy it and hang it on a wall.

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/basso-dia ... gKL__D_BwE
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hubcap
    It is rather nice isn't it, I also like the eggshell finish that you can see on Basso's website.

It's pretty unusual but maybe a bit marmite! Then again, I'm one of those people that likes marmite. :D
  • Hubcap wrote:
    It is rather nice isn't it, I also like the eggshell finish that you can see on Basso's website.

It's pretty unusual but maybe a bit marmite! Then again, I'm one of those people that likes marmite. :D

It's like very, very nice - really sweet.

Buy it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Make sure you buy the SV version...
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • hubcap
    Why do you say buy the SV version Ryan?
  • The one I linked to is much nicer.

Buy it. Buy it. Buy it now. Buy it. Buy it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Basso don't make a bad bike, so buy with confidence. My old Astra from 2010 is still going strong and was a joy to ride fast, easy going or for 100 miles. Super stiff and responsive and I'm sure the Diamante will be just the same.

Basso make their own frames in house which is why you don't see many around. They refuse to entrust their reputation to anyone else making frames for them.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • ryan_w-2
    Hubcap wrote:
    Why do you say buy the SV version Ryan?

Because it's the best bike they make.

Lighter and stronger than the 'normal' model.

EDIT: However, the special edition model linked is f-ing beautiful.

• ryan_w-2

• hubcap
    I love the blue and orange, seriously nice bike. I think the bank balance might be taking a beating at this rate.
  • Ryan_W wrote:

ffs that is truly, truly gorgeous! If only.........
    I had a Basso back in the early 1990's though....Columbus SL tubing.....rode like a dream. Sold it to a mate in mid 1990's....he's still got it and is refurbing it with a new paint job. Can't wait to see it!
  • Don't forget to ditch the Shimano .... this is Italian design and putting anything but Campagnolo would be a travesty. I saw a wonderful C60 frame on Sunday made hideous with Ultegra on it.
  • StillGoing
    Don't forget to ditch the Shimano .... this is Italian design and putting anything but Campagnolo would be a travesty. I saw a wonderful C60 frame on Sunday made hideous with Ultegra on it.

Bollox!. Stick whatever groupset you like on it. I ran SRAM on mine. You ride with what works for you, not what some purist thinks is aesthetic.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Don't forget to ditch the Shimano .... this is Italian design and putting anything but Campagnolo would be a travesty. I saw a wonderful C60 frame on Sunday made hideous with Ultegra on it.

Bollox!. Stick whatever groupset you like on it. I ran SRAM on mine. You ride with what works for you, not what some so called purist thinks is aesthetic.

This exactly. 100%.

I've also FTFY a bit.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I've also got an old steel uber Ascot like this: it's really nice.

https://www.pedalroom.com/p/basso-ascot ... 7076_3.jpg

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    philthy3 wrote:

Bollox!. Stick whatever groupset you like on it. I ran SRAM on mine. You ride with what works for you, not what some purist thinks is aesthetic.

1997... Alpe d'Huez... Pantani (Italian)... Wilier (Italian)... Groupset, Dura Ace (definitely not Italian).
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • I'll stick with what works for me then on an Italian bike then, Campagnolo.
  • StillGoing
    I'll stick with what works for me then on an Italian bike then, Campagnolo.

So if Campagnolo works for you, you would put it on a frame manufactured by Canada, Germany, America, Taiwan etc etc. Sticking to a groupset manufactured by the same country as your bike makes no sense if it doesn't work for you.
  • Don't forget to ditch the Shimano .... this is Italian design and putting anything but Campagnolo would be a travesty. I saw a wonderful C60 frame on Sunday made hideous with Ultegra on it.

Same old stuck record from the Campagnolo stalwarts... :roll:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited September 2017
    I'll stick with what works for me then on an Italian bike then, Campagnolo.

You are quite right if it is a nicely designed italian bike. To me it is nothing to do with Campagnolo being italian, it is to do with what it looks like, Shimano make loud gopping groupsets that are shouty and detract from a nice frame, not understated good looking groupsets.

I saw someone on a C59 with Dura Ace on it the other day, it looked crap, such a shame, like putting an aftermarket bonnet intake on an Alpha Spyder, or ordering Lobster Themidor and it coming with a turd topping.

(Quite like the look of that dark blue Basso, wonder what it looks like in the flesh though, it's looks would be ruined by a few spacers too ... EDIT: On the link the spacer system looks quite neat https://www.bassobikes.com/bicycles/road/diamante-sv/diamante-sv-blue-fluo-orange.html)
  • StillGoing
    Campagnolo attractive? That's a new one on me. Yuk!