chain/cassette mix for trainer

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited September 2017 in Workshop
Brand new propel and having bought another 11-28 cassette for a spare wheel on my turbo trainer, it's not very smooth at all. Chain couldn't have covered more than 200 miles and runs really well with the main cassette.

Will the new cassette eventually wear to the slightly used chain? I can't be dealing with swapping over cassettes every time I want to use the trainer as it will be 2-3 times a week

Comments

• someone much more experianced will no doubt be along soon but is the cassete the same model as the one on the main bike wheel? I doubt very much that 200 miles has worn your chain/cassette enough to create an issue

Is it that the chain line is not the same requiring the rear mech to be adjusted?

If the cassete is the same, the training wheel may be slightly different, putting the cassette slightly out of line compared to the main wheel.

I would try the new cassette on the main wheel and try that to see if that works fine and then that would indicate the training wheel is the issue and may need the rear mech adjusting to accomodate, which means reversing when putting the main wheel back in
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    did you try re-indexing the rear mech when you put the different wheel on?

a slight difference in the cassette offset would be enough make things sound rough
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    thanks both - so yes, the cassette is exact same 105 5800 model as the current one. Also tried indexing slightly but it looks pretty good to be honest.

I will try the new cassette on the old wheel to rule out issues with the training wheel but from what I can tell the chainline is good too, so this still appears to be the chain not making friends with the new cassette.

Thanks