853 frame with which chainstays?

Treguard
Treguard Posts: 27
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi. Bit of a debate. I'm looking at having an 853 reynolds frame built, but like the idea of 953 chainstays. I've been advised by the frame builder though that having 753 chainstays would make more sense.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• I would imagine the frame builder would have more knowledge on what to do than all on this forum including me. Out of interest why not 853 chainstays?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Are you wanting to leave the chain stays unpainted or something ? It'd look a little odd wouldn't it ?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    cinelli supercorsa has unpainted stays, not the only frame to do so, looks lovely, uses columbus sl throughout

also wondering why not just 853 throughout
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • My 853 build is under-way and will be using 853 chainstays, so no idea why you wouldn`t tbh.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Because shiny? Use 853 and get them chromed. I presume welding 953 to 853 is harder, hence the frame builder's reluctance, but what do I know?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Avoid chroming. Looks lovely until it rusts thru from the inside.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Treguard wrote:
    Hi. Bit of a debate. I'm looking at having an 853 reynolds frame built, but like the idea of 953 chainstays. I've been advised by the frame builder though that having 753 chainstays would make more sense.

What do you guys think?

A lot will depend on how the builder plans on joining the tubes. Not sure what would be so appealing about 953 chainstays, specifically, and not clear on why the builder would suggest 753 over 853 anyway, unless you are planning on using lugs or something..
  • Always take the builder's advice. No point in trusting a builder, but not trusting his advice. I typically don't tell my dentist how to do her job... if she advises ceramic composite filling so be it, if she advises amalgam so be it.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Chainstays always get chipped so 953 will have advantage as won't rust like 853.

All my steel bikes have rust but they are old.
  • the main area that needs a bit of protection would be the drop-outs, taking out and putting back the rear wheel, tightening the QR's etc, which is why when I got my custom 853 build the builder used stainless steel just for the drop-outs.
    There was no need on the front as the forks are carbon (although the paint on them is chipping away far more than anywhere on the steel frame).