Tubeless Tyre Pressures

dj58
dj58 Posts: 2,217
edited September 2017 in Road general
One of the often stated benefits of tubeless tyres is the ability to run lower tyre pressures compared to clinchers/tubes. I am considering trying tubeless tyres in 28c size on a 17mm I.D. rim width, I weigh 11st and run my clinchers with latex tubes at 65 p.s.i. front and 70 p.s.i. rear. Will I be able to run a tubeless tyre at these pressures, are there minimum tyre pressures for road tubeless at which they become unstable and/or the bead could unseat from the rim?

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Depends on the rim and the tyre. I've run Mavic 30c Yksion Allroads as low as 20psi without problems on Kinesis Crosslight 2s, and Hutchinson Intensive 25c at 60psi on Pacenti SL23 and Stans ZTR340. On the other hand, I've got some Schwalbe One tubeless on Chinese carbon rims, and I'd be very reluctant to go below 80psi on those. The harder it is to unseat the bead from the rim when the tyre is deflated, the lower the pressure you can get away with; of course tyre volume matters too - the bigger the tyre, the lower the pressure required. At very low pressures (but not at 65psi) you can risk burping the tyre.

tl;dr - you'll be fine unless you're unlucky.
  • dj58
    Thanks for your feedback, that is a useful tip re. trying to unseat the tyre bead with the tyre deflated.
  • They sound sensible pressures.

Accounting for the poor reproducibility of pump gauges, I seemingly run 85 PSI rear and about 70-80 front with my 28 Maxxis padrone... I have to say they are not the biggest 28 out there... definitively smaller than a Hutch Sector
    left the forum March 2023
  • dj58
    @ugo.santalucia

If IIRC you have tested a few brands of tubeless tyres, which of those that were 28c measured up accurately, what about the IRC tyres you had?
  • DJ58 wrote:
    @ugo.santalucia

If IIRC you have tested a few brands of tubeless tyres, which of those that were 28c measured up accurately, what about the IRC tyres you had?

Both Hutch and IRC did measure over size with a 20 mm internal. With 18 mm internal the Hutch still measured oversize (didn't get to try the IRC on those).

The Maxxis Padrone on 18 mm rims are about right
    left the forum March 2023
  • dj58
    Thank you for your feedback ugo.