Sunglasses, helmet, headband in winter

rruiz
rruiz Posts: 9
edited September 2017 in Road beginners
Hello, I found that wearing a headband and helmet puts a lot of pressure on sunglasses. So last time I just put the glasses on top of the headband but I was worry about losing them :) any recommendations in how to wear all that in cold weather?

Thank you

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    rruiz wrote:
    Hello, I found that wearing a headband and helmet puts a lot of pressure on sunglasses. So last time I just put the glasses on top of the headband but I was worry about losing them :) any recommendations in how to wear all that in cold weather?

Thank you

My sunglasses go around my head - not the headband or bandana (which is under my helmet).

No point in having glasses if you're not wearing them....they protect your eyes from impact not just the sun.
  • Fenix wrote:
    rruiz wrote:

Thank you

My sunglasses go around my head - not the headband or bandana (which is under my helmet).

No point in having glasses if you're not wearing them....they protect your eyes from impact not just the sun.

I hear you and I do wear them I just feel like putting them under the headband puts pressure on the glasses and get uncomfortable looking up while riding, also, if I get the headband to cover my ears it gets too close to my eyes lol. I tried different headbands. Maybe I just have to get used to it.

Not sure I explained myself :shock:
  • Glasses over the bandana/helmet straps, not under. Rule #37
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Glasses over the bandana/helmet straps, not under. Rule #37

IMHO, the so called 'rules' are mostly ballox and should be ignored whenever you personally feel that they should be.

On the original point, it sounds like the headband is simply to tight and maybe you should ditch it. If you are looking to keep you ears warm in winter, suggest you try a 'Belgian' style cap or similar. Just Google those words and you will see what I mean. Personally, when it's really cold, I use a Rapha Winter Cap under my helmet like this: https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/winter- ... 02XXLBUXXX but there are loads of different ones out there, including some that claim to be water resistant / proof (which the Rapha version is not).
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • ayjaycee wrote:

IMHO, the so called 'rules' are mostly ballox and should be ignored whenever you personally feel that they should be.

On the original point, it sounds like the headband is simply to tight and maybe you should ditch it. If you are looking to keep you ears warm in winter, suggest you try a 'Belgian' style cap or similar. Just Google those words and you will see what I mean. Personally, when it's really cold, I use a Rapha Winter Cap under my helmet like this: https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/winter- ... 02XXLBUXXX but there are loads of different ones out there, including some that claim to be water resistant / proof (which the Rapha version is not).
    Great advice thank you. I'll look for them here in canada.
    If you would wear glasses (smith) I'm assuming you would put under the hat right?
  • rruiz wrote:
    ayjaycee wrote:

Great advice thank you. I'll look for them here in canada.
    If you would wear glasses (smith) I'm assuming you would put under the hat right?

Look at what I found :)http://www.wiggle.com/gore-bike-wear-un ... elmet-cap/
  • ayjaycee
    Sorry, no experience of Smiths but I wear Rudy Project Rydons most of the time and have never had any issues whatsoever.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Mine fit fine on top of a skullcap. Never had a problem. They certainly won't fall off. I do the same on both mountain and road bike. Different helmets, same glasses (Radars) and skullcap.

I've got one of those Gore ones linked above for the mountain bike when it gets really cold and a Prendas Belgian winter cap for the road. Only the Belgian goes on top of the glasses because of the stretchy ribbed ear warming bits
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    I suppose it depends on what type of glasses you have. For the last few years I've been wearing Gore headband with straight arm Oakleys over that and find they stay on ok, a little bit of 'droopage' but the occasional push back up suffices.

Having said all that I have literally this morning just ordered this https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Shimano-WINDSTOPPER-Race-Cap_80433.htm

No idea what it's like yet but really wanted a peak to stop some of the cold winter draught that just makes my eyes water like mad.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    After years of sweating with buffs and beanies under my helmet I now wear a Castelli Difesa cap for the colder, wetter months. Any time soon then. Windstopper and water repellant, it's thin but surprisingly warm, but breathable. And the peak is great for keeping rain / snow off glasses and ducking behind when oncoming drivers don't dip their lights. They are quite generously sized so the dropped bit over the ears doesn't interfere with specs.
  • Wear a thin skull cap instead of a headband. It's much thinner and will keep your barnet warm and allow you to wear glasses/sunglasses. I've got a Castelli Viva Thermo Skully but you could probably get the same thing at a tenth of the price if it wasn't a 'designed for cycling' label.

As for glasses, I've got a pair of clear and yellow-lensed safety glasses that look okay but don't block out any/much light.
  • ayjaycee
    That Castelli Difesa looks pretty good - If my Gabba (which is apparently made from the same material) is anything to go by, it's likely to be pretty water and wind resistant and would probably be warm as well. The Rapha cap that I recommended above is good for very cold weather but can get too warm otherwise - that said, depending on where you are in Canada, you are likely to find the temperatures a lot lower than here in SW England!

I think Rumbataz has missed on all counts - I don't think the Castelli Viva thing will cover the ears and, unless I missed it, I don't believe that the OP ever asked for recommendations on lens colour!
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    ayjaycee wrote:
    That Castelli Difesa looks pretty good - If my Gabba (which is apparently made from the same material) is anything to go by, it's likely to be pretty water and wind resistant and would probably be warm as well. The Rapha cap that I recommended above is good for very cold weather but can get too warm otherwise - that said, depending on where you are in Canada, you are likely to find the temperatures a lot lower than here in SW England!

I think Rumbataz has missed on all counts - I don't think the Castelli Viva thing will cover the ears and, unless I missed it, I don't believe that the OP ever asked for recommendations on lens colour!

It looks like the Castelli Difesa is no longer available.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ayjaycee
    Dabber wrote:

That's not what a quick Google indicated just now (but I couldn't be arsed to look at the individual ads to see if they were not available everywhere!).
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Dabber wrote:

That's not what a quick Google indicated just now (but I couldn't be arsed to look at the individual ads to see if they were not available everywhere!).

OK, I'll have to look further, some of the usual suspects never seemed to be stocking it anymore....
    Wiggle, Chain Reaction, Sigma, Merlin, Rutland.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Thanks everyone for your advise this site is awesome
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXUHC/p ... helmet-cap.

Big enough to go over your ears front panel is windproof. Even reflective writing on the front.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Dabber wrote:
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Dabber wrote:

OK, I'll have to look further, some of the usual suspects never seemed to be stocking it anymore....
    Wiggle, Chain Reaction, Sigma, Merlin, Rutland.

Evans show the original as in stock, but elsewhere I think it's because Castelli brought out the Difesa 2. Wiggle for instance have those. What the improvements are I don't know. Profitability probably...
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I use the Scott Cadence plus helmet. Aero plugs actually do away with the need for any headband/cap in the winter.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    ayjaycee wrote:

Except in this case, the 'rules' are actually the answer to the OP's conundrum.

OP, put the kit on your head in this order: cap/bandada then helmet then glasses. The arms of the glasses do not need to be under anything in order for the glasses to stay on your head. If it is the case that they fall off, then you need some glasses that fit properly.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/