Garmin 500 - Can't upload a new GPX file as a course

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited September 2017 in Workshop
So my GPX, in this instance, comes from ridewithgps. I've downloaded it, put in the Garmin\NewFiles folder. Safely disconnected the Garmin from my computer and booted it up.

It's not interested, the course never appears in Training->Courses and remains in the NewFiles folder on the device.

I did a hard reset on the device to try and get this to work.

It's an ongoing issue (with just my 500 apparently) and happens with all sorts of GPXs I've got from multimap, and online. The GPXs are all well formed as far as I'm aware (load into Multimap for example).

Have I missed a trick? Anyone with similar problems?

Comments

• Could be your memory is full.

Try reducing the number of datapoints, you can do it with Bikehike in "options"... you only really need 2-3 points per km, but mapping softwares tend to give you 20 or so.

Then clear the memory... if you use a Mac every time you delete a file, it creates a copy in a hidden folder
    left the forum March 2023
  • craker
    Thanks... no.

I've formatted it (same as a hard reset by the looks of things, but it might have cured a file system issue). Reduced the number of track points - its now 52kb, 700 points.

It just leaves it in the New Files folder.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Could be your memory is full.

Try reducing the number of datapoints, you can do it with Bikehike in "options"... you only really need 2-3 points per km, but mapping softwares tend to give you 20 or so.

Then clear the memory... if you use a Mac every time you delete a file, it creates a copy in a hidden folder

I think if you empty the Trash whilst garmin still linked to mac that doesn't happen
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    craker wrote:
    So my GPX, in this instance, comes from ridewithgps. I've downloaded it, put in the Garmin\NewFiles folder. Safely disconnected the Garmin from my computer and booted it up.

It's not interested, the course never appears in Training->Courses and remains in the NewFiles folder on the device.

I did a hard reset on the device to try and get this to work.

It's an ongoing issue (with just my 500 apparently) and happens with all sorts of GPXs I've got from multimap, and online. The GPXs are all well formed as far as I'm aware (load into Multimap for example).

Have I missed a trick? Anyone with similar problems?

I thought the 500 only worked with TCX files and not GPX?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Use tcx format
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • philthy3 wrote:

I thought the 500 only worked with TCX files and not GPX?

That seems strange... my 200, which is probably an older or at least just as old model works fine with GPX... but worth trying
    left the forum March 2023
  • craker
    (I'm sure the 500 can do GPX, it always used to...)

I've got a fix. Convert the GPX to FIT (eg https://www.gpsies.com).

Put the FIT file directly into the Garmin's Courses folder, it appears in the Training menu as a course and processes OK when selected. Haven't tried actually navigating with it yet, I'm sure it will be as reliable as other Garmins in this respect. (Take a map).