Help me choose a bike computer??

malakazmirly
malakazmirly Posts: 11
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm a 15 year old girl, beginner in road cycling but I'd like to buy a bike computer that has all functionalities that I won't have to buy another one again as they are quite expensive. So I want something that I can keep for the next 3 years or so.
I've been hesitating between the Garmin Edge 1000 Bundle and the Garmin Edge 520 Bundle since they're kind of the same except 520 isn't touch screen and doesn't have wifi. Does touch screen matter? And what does wifi mean like does the 1000 give you ability to connect to wifi or does it already have wifi and it works all the time without connecting to anything? Which one would you recommend?

Also, any other bike equipments I need? I've been thinking about a power meter (the Stages Gen 2 Power Meter) but it's quite expensive and is it even necessary? Anything else that's essential?

Comments

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I recently went through this. The overwhelming feeling I got from reading around was that Garmin make some theoretically nice stuff but are let down in the implementation. Conversely I struggled to find a bad word written about Wahoo. I now have a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt which does all I need it to (and stuff I don't need). Yes, it has a black-and-white screen but it is crisp and easily visible. Yes it has not got a touch screen but last week in the pouring rain, as I wiped the screen off with my glove for the umpteenth time I was glad this was not going to result in some random input. It tracks my ride (with various sensors logged), it does route planning, it mocks me in real time over various Strava Live segments, I even received a text message the other day that I wanted to see whilst I was riding. And when I get home the workout has been uploaded to Strava via wifi before I have even taken my helmet off.

In short, I'm very impressed so far at the intuitiveness and it-just-works....ness.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Lezyne Super GPS
    Bluetooth HRM
    Strava (Premium if you want to see "Live Segments")

Fill your boots!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Don't bother with a power meter yet. If you want to spend a few quid on a computer get a Wahoo Element Bolt.

The rest of the money you save spend on decent quality shorts, jersey and a decent packable waterproof.

Then just get out there and ride :)
  • Lezyne super GPS.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Wahoo Elemnt. After a lifetime of Garmin's and their troubles, it'll be a long time before I touch another one. Yes the Wahoo screen is black and white, but what people who scream "it's black and white" don't get, is that the resolution makes it easier to see than Garmin's colour screens in dim and bright light. To set up and operate, it is a doddle compared to a Garmin and Wahoo seem far more interested in solving faults overnight compared to Garmin's "if you're lucky, we'll do it in 6 months" approach.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.