First time bike - £475 budget.

Leonq112
Leonq112 Posts: 4
edited October 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

so i have recently had my certificate issued for the cycle to work scheme! :D

i'm stuck between these 3 bikes, can anyone help?

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-Tra ... _96495.htm

https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-marlin ... e-EV311867

https://www.evanscycles.com/cube-aim-pr ... e-EV318711

I am open to other suggestions but there is a limit on which sites accept the Cycle to work certificate.

the bike is going to be used for general riding to work but also some slight trails nothing major for the time being.

Cheers!

Leon :mrgreen:

Comments

• i've now also spotted this one! - please help i'm so confused!!

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Pi ... 109251.htm
  • Hello there,

One thing to consider is if you are mainly riding to work, would a hybrid be more appropriate perhaps?

There's not a great deal of difference between the bikes listed to be honest. At £475, you are going to find a bike that is:

1. has a coil sprung front fork
    2. is 24 speed (3 x 8)
    3. Hydraulic disc brakes
    4. About 14kg in weight

Nothing wrong with any of that per se, it depends how you get into mountain biking to be honest. If you do, then you'll probably want a new bike within a few months.

Spending a little more will get you an air fork, and maybe a 3 x 9 27 speed setup. Alternatively, by shopping around you might find a 2017 bike in the sales, as the new 2018 models have recently been released. If you were to spend £550 for example, then the voodoo bizango would be an upgrade over the bikes listed before.

I would say that consider the tyres supplied. Are they most suitable for the type of riding you plan on doing. A new set would set you back £80-120, so if there is a bike that has appropriate tyres already, then it might be make the decision easier.

If you think you will get more into mountain biking, then maybe try and choose one that has a 30.9 or 31.6mm diameter seatpost, as the range of 27.2mm dropper seatposts is more limited.

Best Regards,

Chris
  • Just a quick update,

I went for the Cannondale, it has arrived & I have used it for work for a few days now.

glad I chose the bike I did! only problem is the seats aren't exactly sofas are they!! :lol::lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Like your leg muscles for pedaling, you need to toughen up the muscles over your sit bones as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • That one is on my possible list as well... glad you like it
  • I would like to go for Cannondale.
  • Leonq112 wrote:
    Just a quick update,

I went for the Cannondale, it has arrived & I have used it for work for a few days now.

glad I chose the bike I did! only problem is the seats aren't exactly sofas are they!! :lol::lol:

If you can't wear padded shorts on your commute, you could always change the saddle - although I used to commute (for about five miles each-way) on the Selle Italia SLR saddle on my Scott MC-10 wearing a suit. Of course, you would be better wearing (padded) cycling-shorts when you ride your bike, but you could always change the saddle to suit your clothing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I commute 7 miles each way or a fairly firm Bontrager RXL wearing normal 'skiddies', but before that used a Charge Spoon which has more padding. Certainly no need for padded shorts at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Is the saddle high enough ? A lot of the time people have it way too low so you sit with all your weight on the saddle. If it's the right height then your legs help to take the weight - especially over rough terrain.
  • did the bike come all assembled etc?
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    Having done it myself recently, I would say padded shorts can help to begin with.

If it means the difference between continuing to ride or gradually giving up because it's not comfy, then go for it.
    On the other hand, as people have said, it doesn't take long to get used to it and not feeling like needing them any more.