looking for new CX/gravel/adventure bike

Trickydicky666
Trickydicky666 Posts: 2
edited September 2017 in Cyclocross
I am looking for a new bike for cross country trail riding, nothing majorly difficult just dirt and gravel tracks. I have road bikes and MTB but i wouldnt want to ride my winter bike on that surface its a genuine road bike (canondale Synapse) I have Giant XTC Advanced 3 27.5 which is a bit overkill for that type of terrain so wanted a CX/gravel/adventure bike which i think would be perfect. Now for the problems... I would like DI2 onboard, i have di2 on my Giant TCR and i love it. dont care if 1x11 or 2x10-11. must have hydraulic disks preferably 160mm rotors BUT and this is where the limits kick in, i am 6'3" ex prop and weigh in at 140kg which the other 3 bikes i have take with no problems other than replacing BB's and Chains fairly regularly. I will get custom wheels built although i already have 3 spare sets (2 of which are 700c's) which i reckon i can mount up to a 33-35mm tyre which is about the max width i want to run....I have looked at the Giant TCX advanced but cant find one in my size, (i have short legs and a long body so need a size longer due to top tube length) but wondered if anyone had any other suggestions?

Comments

• I think the first thing you want to decide is whether you want an adventure bike or a CX bike.

Generally adventure bikes have longer rear chainstays so that when you're sitting on it for hours on end the jolt from bumps isn't hammered into your rear. CX bikes will tuck those in a bit more (shorter wheelbase, better handling) since you're usually only on it for an hour or two for a race.

That said, most major manufacturers make CX bikes with Di2. Cannondale has the SuperX (but mechanical discs for some reason), specialized has the Crux (hydro brakes), Ridley has the X-Night, Norco Threshold (eTap not Di2).
  • What's your budget?

I've been trail riding (single track and moor) on my new Planet X cx bike last few days and for the few hundred quid it cost me I can't fault it.

Looks lovely, rides really nice, tad hefty compared to a road bike but Insuppose it's par for the course really.

For something that's going to be used a couple of times a month it can't be faulted,
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.