Castelli Alpha jacket sizing

mzgadzaj
mzgadzaj Posts: 27
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
As the winter is approaching, I am contemplating a purchase of Castelli Alpha jacket - I am not quite sure which size should I choose though.

Looking at Wiggle's size guide I should be getting L - but considering that I'm 188 cm (6'2") and rather on the thin side I just want to make sure that arm length is going to be ok? (I tend to have problems with l/s clothes having the sleeves too short in L, or being too baggy in XL, hence the question.)

I also have s/s Gabba 2 in XL, and it is slightly too wide around the shoulders, but quite ok in the waist. (I don't complain though, as it was the only size available on the sale for 70€. Steal!)

Comments

• Also, if someone would be so nice as to measure their Alpha (both size L and XL if possible) laying flat armpit to armpit and armpit to the end of the sleeve, plus additionally the width at the waist level, that would be an immense help in choosing the correct size. Unfortunately I don't seem to have any local shop having them in stock here to be able to try them on...
  • I have an Alpha jacket, you are exactly the same size as me. I have an XL and its only just big enough. I am XXL in other Castelli tops.
  • I should sal also that I am medium build, 13 st.
    It measures 20" exactly pit to pit.
    22.5" sleeve approx
    17" waist
  • If I were buying from Wiggle I'd just get both and send the other back, free returns. Done this many times.
  • Thanks for the measurements! Will check them in the evening with other jerseys/jackets I have.

Anyone could provide them for size L as well please?

Not from Wiggle unfortunately - they don't stock original Alphas anymore, now they only have new Alpha ROS, for twice the price. :(

And the shop I'd be buying it from doesn't do free returns - you have to pay for the postage yourself, plus they don't do proper refunds either - they just give you a credit to use for other purchases. So I'd prefer to have the sizing spot on from the start if possible. (But then again, if the jacket costs 150€, I guess you can't complain too much.)
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    I have the same size Alpha jacket and Gabba LS and SS. All are medium. All fit around the same. Perhaps the jacket is a little less forgiving as it's bulkier and has little stretch in it. Sleeves appear to be the same length too as the LS Gabba,

Great jacket but a bit warm for all but the coldest days. Okay in mid single figures is you skip the base layer.
  • could you tell me when you wear a long sleeve gabba or perfetto as it is now, i.e temperature/conditions wise.
    Im trying to find a long sleeve autumn/winter top and am going round in circles.
    Do you wear them from now to spring with varying base layers or just for poor weather/cold?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Alpha Jersey would fit the bill.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    could you tell me when you wear a long sleeve gabba or perfetto as it is now, i.e temperature/conditions wise.
    Im trying to find a long sleeve autumn/winter top and am going round in circles.
    Do you wear them from now to spring with varying base layers or just for poor weather/cold?

It depends, some people run hot, some cold. Today I went out in 20mph winds at 14deg with a long sleeve gabba and a thin summer base layer underneath. Was just right à la goldilocks for me, a lot of people might have run too hot is my guess.

I sort of think an Alpha Jersey would be a better purchase, I've nearly bought one myself but can't justify it until I've killed a gabba.

Once it gets cold, the Gabba isn't enough, an Alpha Jacket is brilliant though, a thin base layer for about 7deg, and with a warm base layer I'm good down to 3 or 4 degrees, With a 2nd base layer it's good for zero and just under for me. The Alpha Jacket is the best performing top I've ever bought.
  • Just a note, for some reason Wiggle aren't going to sell the Alpha Jersey ROS. No idea why
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • amack
    amack Posts: 70
    Just a note, for some reason Wiggle aren't going to sell the Alpha Jersey ROS. No idea why
    Don't know Btr, they currently have various sizes of both available, quite a hike in price for this new model. I'd have the jersey over the jacket but would have a Fluoro sportful fiandre extreme jacket over the alpha jacket too. Doesn't have the inner jersey but Sportful claim waterproofness which I'd go for as most jackets in the Alpha price range will be warm enough for most uk winters but only some will keep you happy(ish) in the cold AND rain.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    amack wrote:
    Just a note, for some reason Wiggle aren't going to sell the Alpha Jersey ROS. No idea why
    ...would have a Fluoro sportful fiandre extreme jacket over the alpha jacket too. Doesn't have the inner jersey but Sportful claim waterproofness which I'd go for as most jackets in the Alpha price range will be warm enough for most uk winters but only some will keep you happy(ish) in the cold AND rain.
    ...will be trying my newly acquired Fiandre Extreme jacket this weekend as finally seems cold enough, especially at early doors. Have used up to 15 degrees (it's the short sleeve) but have found it a little too hot at that temp. Plenty of showers forecast too so hope I'll stay dry on the inside!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Luv2ride wrote:
    amack wrote:
    ...would have a Fluoro sportful fiandre extreme jacket over the alpha jacket too. Doesn't have the inner jersey but Sportful claim waterproofness which I'd go for as most jackets in the Alpha price range will be warm enough for most uk winters but only some will keep you happy(ish) in the cold AND rain.
    ...will be trying my newly acquired Fiandre Extreme jacket this weekend as finally seems cold enough, especially at early doors. Have used up to 15 degrees (it's the short sleeve) but have found it a little too hot at that temp. Plenty of showers forecast too so hope I'll stay dry on the inside!

You'll be soaking from the inside with that combination I would think.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Garry H wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:
    amack wrote:

You'll be soaking from the inside with that combination I would think.

Forecast changed and I didn't get out as early as intended so temperature were a little higher. Perfetto SS deployed once again, with arm warmers to start off with. Got up to 13 degrees I think, and have to say it was perfect again. No sweat build up inside, and cosy all ride. Excellent. Am hoping the Fiandre Extreme will do a similar job with better waterproofing below 9-10 degrees, but obviously yet to test properly.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • amack wrote:
    Don't know Btr, they currently have various sizes of both available, quite a hike in price for this new model. I'd have the jersey over the jacket but would have a Fluoro sportful fiandre extreme jacket over the alpha jacket too. Doesn't have the inner jersey but Sportful claim waterproofness which I'd go for as most jackets in the Alpha price range will be warm enough for most uk winters but only some will keep you happy(ish) in the cold AND rain.

How odd! The pic was there for me but clicking on the pic led to a dead link. I messaged them and they said that they weren't going to be selling it and I should see if I could find it somewhere else!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I was considering Fiandre Extreme before as well, but have read many negative reviews of them having issues with the rear pockets (both leaking and becoming unglued), so finally have decided on the Alpha instead... Though haven't bought one yet.