Shimano Hub Digital Cone Adjustment

frankcannondale
frankcannondale Posts: 69
edited September 2017 in Workshop
Hi,

the vids on YT show the digital cone adjuster being moved by finger tight adjustment. I have a new pair of wheels and the adjustment won't budge. I've read the shimano manual but it's lacking that information.

Am I missing something obvious ? :roll:

Thank you for any help.

Comments

• Have you removed the hub cap?

It could be that it is fully tighened and won't go any further
    left the forum March 2023
  • frankcannondale
    edited September 2017
    Thanks for your reply,

I've removed the 5mm end bolt, the washer and the cone holding tube.

The cone won't budge. I have turned the cone holding tube so the splines can be used when not in the mounted position. The cone seems to be put on to tight.

I noticed the correct torque for the end bolts (5mm) on assembly should have a setting between 15/17 Nm. When I removed the end bolt it seemed to be way over that torque setting. I've tried these instructions to no avail.

"Note that this adjuster is keyed. Also note that the axle in the background has a similar shape. When you line the two flat parts up, the plastic adjuster goes all the way on the axle. That flat portion keeps everything locked together, so you cannot adjust the hub preload any longer.

Note that this adjuster is keyed. Also note that the axle in the background has a similar shape. When you line the two flat parts up, the plastic adjuster goes all the way on the axle. That flat portion keeps everything locked together, so you cannot adjust the hub preload any longer.

To use the plastic piece to adjust the hub, all you do is turn it in any other orientation and press it back on to the axle. As long as the flat parts don’t line up, you can’t push the adjuster on all the way. In that case, the small splines lock together, and you push the tool about halfway on (it will be a loose fit). Keep your 5mm hex wrench in the axle, and unthread the left side cone with the adjuster tool: Keep your 5mm hex wrench in the axle, and unthread the left side cone with the adjuster tool:"

I realise you know this already. I've posted the information for other forum members.

I've followed these instructions but the cone will not budge. I,m guessing Parktool will get something created to make the unlocking of the cone easier. Maybe I've got unlucky and will have to visit a LBS.
  • frankcannondale
    edited September 2017
    Sometimes you just have to try other methods. I got a brand new pair of pliers and gripped the serrated edge of the cone. Using the 5mm allen key the other side of the axle turn it. It was still fairly hard to begin with but will soon release. You need to turn anti-clockwise else your tightening the cone if you go clockwise.

Once loose it was fairly easy just using my fingers.

The plastic cone cover on both axles has a small recess to use a small screwdriver to prise it off. This is only on one side. This is important for the front hub. It is against the hub and about a 5mm x 1mm slot for you to insert a small straight edge blade into the recess.Comes off very easily.

On the freehub axle it's on the non drive side so no surprises there. No cover on the drive side.

The bearing covers come away quite easy, be careful not to split them. On the freehub axle they are different sizes so make sure you put them down in some sort of order/system.

The washer on the holding cone has to go on facing up, small splines upwards.

On the free hub side there are "13" loose bearings, (3/16). Be careful they don't fall out onto a hard surface like I did :oops:
    You can manage everything with the wheel centred on a bowl with the hub then in a position for you to catch any bearings falling. I lined the bowl with white paper towel to control the bounce of the bearing. Yes I was bearing hunting for a while after they fell out onto a tiled floor ! Great fun :twisted:

Couple of points the plastic holding cone just slipped when trying to grip the cones serrated edge. Waste of time imo.
    The bearings were in need of fresh grease both sides of the axles.Both wheels.
    The axles had a slight smear of factory grease, so they were cleaned and regreased.

It's a clever system. Once the digital cone has been adjusted the plastic holding cone will only go on one way. It has two straight sides same shape as the cone you have just adjusted.

Make sure you push it down till it won't go any further. This then locks the cone into place allowing the QR skewers to be applied without affecting the digital adjustment preload which has been made.

Worth a look,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Z5QcngH6A

Hope this helps other forum users.
  • awesome!
    left the forum March 2023
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Posts like Frank’s above make this site great. I always keep an eye on this section for useful tips.