Gearing upgrade

steveindenmark
steveindenmark Posts: 3
edited September 2017 in Workshop
I am hoping some guys could help me with some technical advice with regards to the gearing on my bike. But before we start I must admit I know almost nothing about bike mechanics.

I have a Genesis Croix de fer 20 The front derailleur is a Tiagra FD4700 and the rear derailleur is a Tiagra RD 4700 it has a Shimano 10 speed, 11-34 cassette. It has a Shimano Tiagra FC-4700 / 50-34 chainset. It has a Shimano BB-RS500 68mm bottom bracket

I want to use the bike for bikepacking in Italy, where there are plenty of big mountains. I am not a strong climber and am willing to exchange top end speed for ease of climbing.

I have done some research and the two options I can find is either make the bike into a triple or change the rear cassette and the chainset and bottom bracket. Or just change the chainset to a 46/30 and keep the rear cassette as it is.

I would appreciate some suggestions as to how to go forward.

Comments

• Check the spacing of the front chainrings you want (the gaps between the bolt holes): it may just be a case of unbolt front chainrings, fit new ones (5 bolts) then lower front mech and re-adjust.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Will a compact (bcd 110) take a 30t chainring?

"The smallest chainring with a BCD of 110 mm is a 33 from TA Specialite" internet says when I google.

& that was prob the old 5 bolt not the stupid new 4 bolt.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Will a compact (bcd 110) take a 30t chainring?

"The smallest chainring with a BCD of 110 mm is a 33 from TA Specialite" internet says when I google.

& that was prob the old 5 bolt not the stupid new 4 bolt.

TA do make a 33T inner for the 4 bolt 110mm BCD. https://specialites-ta.com/produits-acc ... -x110.html and that is the smallest you can go on a compact, you need a super compact to do 46/30T. Middleburn did one, but they have ceased trading.
  • My plan, if it will work is to replace my current crankset with an FSA SL-K Adventure 46/30 crankset.

http://www.jensonusa.com/FSA-Sl-K-386Ev ... e-Crankset

This will mean replacing Shimano RS500 68mm Bottom bracket for an FSA bottom bracket. Could someone advise me which FSA bottom bracket would be suitable?