winter gloves for long fingers...

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 795
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
I've been on a quest for the right winter gloves ever since I started cycling. I seem to have large but thin hands and I can never find any that fit well. Even if I buy xxl gloves I find that the tips pull on the end of my fingers and my finger tips eventually go numb. It's even worse with my thumb when my hands are on the hoods.
I have tried a range of gloves from rapha, aldi, gore, plus a few others and have settled on sealskin ultra grip gloves as they have some give and have been the most comfortable so far. They aren't great for long deep winter rides though, even with liners (which I have to cut the finger tips off).

Has anyone been in the same boat and found a good pair? I bought some sealskin lobster mitts on sale a couple of winters ago which fit but length wise but I don't really get on with the excess material.

Comments

• get your Nan to knit some for christmas.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Not just me then. I normally go for as many Xs before the L as is possible then put up with the excess material. I have some Sportful gloves in XXL that are not too baggy, but are still a touch short for me. The best fitting gloves I have are some lightweight full finger MTB gloves from Specialized, but they are nothing like warm enough for proper winter use.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Not just me then. I normally go for as many Xs before the L as is possible then put up with the excess material. I have some Sportful gloves in XXL that are not too baggy, but are still a touch short for me. The best fitting gloves I have are some lightweight full finger MTB gloves from Specialized, but they are nothing like warm enough for proper winter use.

Yea, did think about trying Sportful as I like most of their other kit but they tend to come up a bit on the small side. I'll check out some Specialized gloves next time I'm near a bike shop. Cheers!
  • I have a similar problem. In the end, I went to Cotswold Outdoor and bought a pair of Rab gloves with a gripper surface and a merino liner.
  • Some of gore gloves are good but my current winter longs are decathlon. Long cuff that stops the wind blowing up my sleaves and keeps my wrists warm.