Elite Turbo Muin - any good?

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Daughter needs a new turbo and wants a direct drive type, and it needs to be quiet. On a limited budget, so the likes of Kickr and Neo are out. She uses a Quarq Power meter so doesn't need to be a 'Smart' trainer, will probably use Trainer Road, and is not interested in Zwift. The Elite Turbo Muin at £250 from Wiggle seems to fit the bill. Anyone got any experience of it? Recommendations?

Comments

• I had one and returned it as I found the resistance too great even in smallest gears, swapped it for one with variable resistance. To be fair though this was my first turbo and I just wasn't used to it (or probably fit enough!) at the time so it would probably be a different story now. They are nicely made and about as quiet as you are going to get for a DD turbo. At £250 it's worth a shout
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Yes its good. I considered one before buying the Kura, but I recommend getting the B+ bluetooth connector too.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have one and yes the resistance is quite severe. I have a 10 speed 11 to 25 cassette with a 53 x 39 chainset, I rarely use the big ring. Ideally you could do with a close ratio cassette but one that went 25,24,23,,22,21 etc
    Quiet though.
  • I have one and I think it's a brilliant turbo. The b+ works perfectly too. For what it's worth I think the resistance is fine.
  • yes had mine with the B+ option a couple of weeks, i put an 11-32 cassette on to match my bike cassette and it could do with being closer ratio for doing sonething to set power/cadence. Perfect for what i want, cheapest direct drive with smart functions, not going to pay nearly twice as much for the same effect. Granted having resistance change to match gradient would be nice but its £700 to get to that on a direct drive
  • I got one, it's got a nice feel to it. Resistance is reasonably high, but I'm no monster and it's perfectly workable for me with a mid-compact and an 11-28 cassette. Just forget what gear you're actually in and work to power/PE. Really quiet and stable, too.

On the negative side, the power numbers from the B+ are a bit off compared to a direct measurement power meter. It's not terrible, and it is pretty consistent, but it's not the quickest to react, and the numbers (on mine at least) under-read under about 250W and over-read above about 400. This lessens as the unit warms up, though.

The speed and distance numbers the B+ puts out are complete bobbins relative to effort, though.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Thanks all. Sounds like it would do the job. Not fussed about B+ features as she'd use her Quarq for power/cadence etc, and is adamant she won't be Zwifting!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I got one, it's got a nice feel to it. Resistance is reasonably high, but I'm no monster and it's perfectly workable for me with a mid-compact and an 11-28 cassette. Just forget what gear you're actually in and work to power/PE. Really quiet and stable, too.

On the negative side, the power numbers from the B+ are a bit off compared to a direct measurement power meter. It's not terrible, and it is pretty consistent, but it's not the quickest to react, and the numbers (on mine at least) under-read under about 250W and over-read above about 400. This lessens as the unit warms up, though.

The speed and distance numbers the B+ puts out are complete bobbins relative to effort, though.

Fluid trainers are great for resistance and road feel and I agree with the above, that you have to forget about gears and concentrate on power output. Rarely do I venture into the big ring on my Kura. The Elite My E Training program is complete pants in my opinion under reading or over reading watts by massive amounts compared to speed. TrainerRoad and Zwift give much better and realistic results.

If she's got a Quarq power meter and presumably bluetooth, you don't need the B+ connector.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Yeah, I can't help but feel the B+ unit was a waste of money for myself. If you have a real power meter, use that instead