SPD or SPD-SL?

figbat
figbat Posts: 680
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
I know this has been debated before, but I have a specific circumstance I'd like some thoughts on.

I recently picked up a s/h road bike which came complete with the SPD-SL pedals that were on it (I forget the make/model).

I already have a MTB and road bike wearing SPD pedals and have a couple of pairs of shoes with the cleats on. I can use shoes and bikes interchangeably (although in truth I tend to wear the clumpy ones on the MTB and the lighter ones on the road).

So my question is this - do I buy:

- some new shoes with SPD-SL compatibility to match my new pedals (possibly also getting some SPD-SLs for the old existing road bike)?
- some SPD pedals for the new bike, to match my existing shoes?

Cost is notable but not show-stopping (lower is better though).
I ride MTB and road fairly equally.
On the road I do a 20-ish mile commute a couple of times a week plus the odd sportive (so far 90km max).
No plans to race; I'll probably just continue doing more of the same, perhaps longer and more frequent as time/fitness allows.
My SPD 'road' shoes are cheap Shimano RT33s - I had been wondering about upgrading them anyway.

I guess it boils down to the age-old SPD vs SPD-SL thing again - are the benefits of SL worth the change of system? I suspect that if the bike had not come with the SLs, I would not have thought twice about getting SPDs because easy/known.
Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere

Comments

• I have Sidi Genius 7 on SPD-SL.... to be perfectly honest I prefer the other set up which Shimano Xc 30 on SPD

Don't bother to "upgrade"... it's not an upgrade anyway
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you'll be commuting on it, I'd say just get some SPD pedals for the new bike and sell on the SPD-SL ones.

If you'll only ever use it for long road rides and rarely put a foot down, maybe SPD-SL

I'm about to give the latter a try after 15 years or so on SPDs. Not because I think there's any benefit, more out of curiosity. I needed new shoes and liked the look / fit of the 3 bolt ones better, so I thought I'd give them a whirl. I'll probably be back on here next week moaning about them...
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-m52 ... gK5OfD_BwE

Twenty quid for some SPDs for your new bike. You might even make a few quid back if you Ebay the SPD-SLs that came with the new bike.

That's the most cost effective solution and probably just as good as any other.
  • keef66 wrote:

If you'll only ever use it for long road rides and rarely put a foot down, maybe SPD-SL

Have zero evidence of being quicker with SPD-SL... being that average speed, climbing, whatever... no evidence whatsoever
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    keef66 wrote:

Have zero evidence of being quicker with SPD-SL... being that average speed, climbing, whatever... no evidence whatsoever

I don't even have any experience of using them, which is why I said maybe...

I just liked the look of the road shoes better, which is probably not the best way of choosing a pedal / cleat system. May be a decision I'll come to regret.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Well, I'd call that conclusive! Thanks for the thoughts, I'll probably get some of those M520s in white (matches the new bike, see). I'll assess the state of the SPD-SLs and see if they're worth punting on (I genuinely never thought of that. I tend to buy stuff and keep/hoard it, just in case).

But since I've started looking, I might also see about some better road SPD shoes (also in white...?!).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • On my bad weather bike/commuter, I have dual sided platform/SPD pedals. On my fair weather bike, I use look pedals (which are very close to the SPD-SLs in terms of form and function. Shimano pretty much ripped off the look design wholesale).

The SPDs are more versatile, given that most SPD shoes let you walk around relatively comfortably and without much wear and tear on the cleats. But, at least for me, the looks are much more comfortable to ride with.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Why not try A520 pedals? A600 if you are flush?
    Many good Spd shoes out there. Consider touring and cross variations.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I used to ride SPD on all my bikes, on and off road. Kept SPD on the MTB and commuter but put SPD-SL on the "nice" bike with new shoes to go with them.

I do prefer them for road riding though I admit I can't explain why. Perhaps it is just that the nicer bike and new shoes make me appreciate them more.
  • I have the touring single sided spd pedals A5 something.
    They have less of a pressure point than normal spd.
    The main problem I have is creaking - haven't figured out what causes it yet but cleaning and a bit of GT85 makes it go away for a while.
    I'd happily change to non-creaking road pedals if I could walk in them as well.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Which pedals (not just limited to these two variations) are the easiest for getting into/out of?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Mouth wrote:
    Which pedals (not just limited to these two variations) are the easiest for getting into/out of?
    Any with adjustable tension.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.