Problem with disc rotors

murrayp7
murrayp7 Posts: 18
edited September 2017 in Workshop
Hi guys, so recently I upgraded my wheels from the stock ones and one change i made was from 6 bolt to center lock hubs. At the time I decided to just get adaptors for the 6 bolt rotors I had before upgrading them later. The shop I went to only had one adaptor left, so I bought one center lock rotor and one adaptor until I could get the other one. I recently bought a set of shimano ultegra rotors online. To my horror, I have discovered that although the rotors fit and are the right size, the center of the rotors kind of juts out (must be some kind of design to increase air flow and cooling) and hits off the calliper as it spins. What do I do? Not sure if I can return it since it hit off the calliper and got a little scraped. I thought about getting a 160 adaptor (it's a 140 disc) to move it outwards but then I thought first that it would move it too much and second I'd be dealing with uneven pad wear possibly. I could either grind the calliper or the disc down a little to make it fit (which would probably work, the functioning of the calliper would definitely not be affected as it's only the outer body) but for obvious reasons I don't want to do this except as an absolute last resort. Otherwise, I think I would have to look for new callipers which don't hit off the rotor (more money) or else forget about the discs and live with the fact that I wasted my money. It's pretty hard to find many rotors that come in 140. The shimano rt81 comes in 140 but it also seems to have a spider which juts out. From what I've googled, this seems to be a common occurrence with avid brakes (I have promax render r and dks 330r which I think are similar to avid brakes). Any advice is appreciated, thank you :-)

P.S. if you google Cannondale caad optimo tiagra disc you'll find the specs of my bike if you need to know. Thanks.

Comments

• zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    Shimano recommends to use the ice tech rotors with shimano calipers only, so I would recommend to get another model. I use RT67 160mm which are cheaper but still perform great. Or you can take it to a shop so they set it up if the rotors are compatible.