Noisy brakes!

careca78
careca78 Posts: 102
edited September 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello All

I have a Shimano SLX 675 brake set on my bike that is noisier than a virgin on her inauguration day… seriously, the environmentalists are just about to sue me for damages to the forest animals’ earing!

The main problem though is that the braking power is also compromised and only after a power wash and while the brakes are hot and wet you can feel them working as they should.

I’m very careful during maintenance and never use any spray material for lubing or cleaning, but travel a lot with my bike on the car’s roof, is it possible that my discs and pads are getting contaminated from the windshield wipers liquid, for example?

I’m thinking about washing the discs with dish washing detergent and scotch brite and sanding the pads to remove any contaminant, but I would like to hear from you in case you have some better solution.

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds more like glazed pads than contamination.

Metallic pads?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yes, the finned brake pads that came with the brakes.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    depending on how badly they are glazed you could file off the top layer of the pads and clean the disc with isopropyl alcohol and then re bed in the pads.

Also check the brake callipers are aligned correctly could been a wonky calliper which has dragged the pads on the disc.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you clean them with disc brake cleaner you will soon see if that is the problem. Also clean the rotors at the same time. My mountain bikes rear brake somehow got contaminated when only riding off road.
  • Sounds like you never bedded your pads in properly. What color are the rotors? If they are relatively clean then your pads are glazed from over heating before being properly bedded.
    At this point new pads may be required.
  • Sounds like you never bedded your pads in properly. What color are the rotors? If they are relatively clean then your pads are glazed from over heating before being properly bedded.
    At this point new pads may be required.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    swod1 wrote:
    depending on how badly they are glazed you could file off the top layer of the pads and clean the disc with isopropyl alcohol and then re bed in the pads.

instead of filing, use some medium grade sandpaper or wet'n'dry to remove the top layer.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    02GF74 wrote:
    swod1 wrote:

Instead of filing, use some medium grade sandpaper or wet'n'dry to remove the top layer.

yes this is a better way as the metal file can be too course and wreck the pads.

Seeing this post has reminded me to check my rear brake got a little squeak on it, wondering if to put sintered in rear to avoid this.