Removal core inners & mini pumps

mw22
mw22 Posts: 78
edited September 2017 in Commuting chat
So after ditching a 10+ year old specialized mini pump and stealing the wifes pocket rocket pump with a flexible hose... after a visit from the puncture fairy, I seem to have encountered a problem!

The flexible hose screws onto my valve, all pumps up fine - go to unscrew the pump and it unscrews the removal core!!!

Having a quick google whilst writing this, I see Park Tools to a tool to tighten it... anyone have any experience if these work?

Or do I just need to bin off either the better pump or continental inners!

Cheers
Road: Kuota Kebel
TT: Canyon Speedmax
Work: Norco search

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Remember those old flat pressed multitools that came with new Raleigh bikes (I'm talking the back end of the '70s here)? There was probably a notch in that the right size for a valve.

Anyway, I've moved back to pumps with a hose, as I had some nasty incidents with the push on sort where I pushed on too hard and snapped the valve stem. Nothing like changing a tube on a cold day, inflating it nice and hard only to find it's now broken and you need to patch the original one. There an emiticon for that somewhere :evil:
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    One of the spoke key notches on my multitool works on valve cores as I discovered to my relief when I punctured recently. I have valve extenders, and I hadn't put the special little tool in my saddle bag.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    This should be a sticky. Most people have been there and done that, me included. Mine when it was snowing ferociously.

Either buy tubes without removable cores, or tighten them up before you use them. I have a tiny adjustable spanner which I use on the core while gripping the stem with pliers. I've also read that in an emergency one of the notches on a multitool chain tool will fit the core, but I don't know how you'd grip the valve stem out on the road.

Once before a sportive I'd just topped up my rear tyre, and when I disconnected the pump, the valve core shot past my ear and vanished. Wasn't even a screw-on pump. Luckily this was in the garage the night before...
  • hopkinb
    keef66 wrote:
    I've also read that in an emergency one of the notches on a multitool chain tool will fit the core, but I don't know how you'd grip the valve stem out on the road.
    This is what I meant above, it's a notch on the chain tool that I used. Just hold the valve stem at the base where it joins the tube, and the rubber gives a bit of grip.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Been there, done that. Drove me nuts. Changed pump in the end to one with a hose.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Having a hose is no guarantee of success! My Leyzne HP drive (with hose) is a remarkably effective tool for removing valve cores.

I carry a leatherman with me anyway on my rides so just use the pliers to nip it up
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I ended up dumping the use of continental inners.

Some people super-glue/threadlock the core in.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Just gently tighten valve cores with pliers on all new inners
  • mw22
    mw22 Posts: 78
    Cheers - temp solution to get me home was to borrow a different pump.
    Will tighten (and glue - why do they EVER need to come out??) the inners later on current tube and any spares.
    Also have the tool on order.

Dont think I'll bother with Contis when I re-order the next batch.

Thanks for replies - glad it wasnt just me.
    Road: Kuota Kebel
    TT: Canyon Speedmax
    Work: Norco search
  • hopkinb
    mw22 wrote:
    Will tighten (and glue - why do they EVER need to come out??).
    Valve extenders for my vanity deep section wheels. :D
  • Same with Schwalbe inners. As mentioned above I put a blob of blue loctite on the thread before use.
    hopkinb wrote:
    mw22 wrote:
    Will tighten (and glue - why do they EVER need to come out??).
    Valve extenders for my vanity deep section wheels. :D
    Also for adding puncture prevention sealant (for those into that sort of depravity).
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    mamil314 wrote:
    Just gently tighten valve cores with pliers on all new inners

It really is that simple. Never had one come off after doing this.