Broken spoke on Boardman Hybrid Pro

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited September 2017 in Workshop
It came with Shimano RX05 rims and hubs. A spoke broke and I was in a bit of a fix so I snapped it off at the rim. I now have the nipple rattling around in the rim.

Anyone know what type of spoke is used for a replacement. I guess I could just bring it into Evans.

How much will they charge for such a job?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think their minimum is 15 plus the spoke so 20 or so. You can probably get the nipple out if you take the tube out.
  • spoke fail because of fatigue. Therefore the replacment spoke will not fix the problem. more will fail. The wheel is either poorly built or is not stiff enough to take the loads you put on it.

fix the wheel but get another set that have been built properly to replace them or you will be in the same situation at some point.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not in my experience. Spokes do sometimes break. Replace that one and see how you go. You'll probably be fine

I've been riding decades and replaced a few spokes. Usually just the one and the the wheel never bothers me again.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have my gears do something odd once and either the chain or the derailleur caught a spoke on a gear change, breaking a spoke. Replaced that spoke and the wheels did another 2500 miles before a taxi T-boned me and they are now Taco shaped.

I was with another guy who had someone lean a bike against his when parked and I think their pedal leant on the side of his bladed spokes - a couple of miles later he had a broken spoke anyway. Was replaced and all good again.

Its not just fatigue that breaks them. Although if it is fatigue then I would agree with everything else Malcolm says.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    And yes, probably about £20 as they will also true the wheel and check the tension in all the spokes (hopefully!).
  • Spoke fail because of fatigue unless you have a dodgy spoke (rare) then others will follow at some point either quickly or it may take lots of time. As I said replace it but if you use the bike alot then the wheel has the potential to let you down again so it depends how important a relaible wheel is to you. If it is not a hassle having a broken spoke then fine but if it is then you know what to do.

I also may see more wheels than cougie probably so my sample size maybe bigger.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Factory Shimano wheelsets. I've only ever broken one spoke, and on close inspection that appeared to be because I'd earlier fallen off the bike, bent the mech hanger, and then sent the chain over the back of the cassette into the spokes when selecting the lowest gear. Live and learn.

The spoke that broke appeared was very clearly chewed at the point of failure. Two of it's neighbours are also gnawed a bit, but they've held up for 5 years and I think the rim and hub will be toast shortly.

At the time I couldn't find a black, bladed spoke of the right length for love nor money, ended up with a silver one from Germany. Similar effect to the single red spoke on some Mavics...
  • that i the other reason for spoke failure but given when I see this nearly all the spokes on the DS are damaged it is not just one spoke that needs changing.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    This spoke broke at the elbow were it bends to enter the hub flange.

The bike is my winter commuter, complete with mudguards and disc brakes. I'll take both wheels into Evans and ask them to replace the broken spoke and check the tension in all the spokes.