Giant Anthem X 29'er 2 2012 - holes in downtube

merekat33
merekat33 Posts: 9
edited September 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
My first post as I find most info from searching these great forums....

My suspension bearings finally gave up and upon stripping the bike ready I thought I'd strip the paint as I never liked the paint scheme and it was getting a few marks. I fancied it raw or cleared coated anyway.

To my horror I found a small hole in the downtube and closer inspection found 2 smaller ones!!!

Not sure how to play this as with a stripped frame is it worth asking Giant?

The holes look like corrosion but reading about the 6011 aluminium it shouldn't corrode and create holes, so a fault from new with the material???

Going to ask a local welder to see what he can do but after any thoughts and whether or not anybody has come across this before - can't find anything on the internet, just surface issues but that's just paint bubbling - my paint was fine before stripping.

Appreciate any thoughts or advice on this - will try and up load a photo to show and keep you posted on what I do.

Cheers, Colin

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    edited September 2017
    Needs pictures.....what did you use to strip the paint?
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Can you add A photo. Oh an aluminium alloy does corrode in certain conditions.
  • Hours later here's a photo dateposted-public

I used Mangers to strip, an old tin with dichloromethane in it! If it was that I would expect more issues elsewhere onthe frame.

I did have a thought - there was heli-tape on that area of the frame and had been for some years - could of trapped moisture and caused this - sounds plausable.

Cheers for your replies.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36182174@ ... ed-public/
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Weird. Doesn't look like corrosion. Are you brave enough to poke near the holes as if it were corrosion then the area around them would be thin and will give an idea if frame has weakenw
  • It's gone in for welding - as I'd stripped it assumed Giant wouldn't do anything.

Have read about corrosion in boats that get this sort of thing - salt water.

Metal doesn't appear weaker around the whole and of course can't see inside!

Welder was quite confident and they too were surprised at corrsion - or what appeared to be.

One thing I didn't say was this area had hele-tape on it and one area, the smallest hole, was corroded under the tape - if that's the cause then I'm happy with welding.

Any advice still appreciated - will let you know what the welders do - if they start welding and it all caves in :shock:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can get that effect under thick powder coating from trapped water and I wonder if the Heli-tape has done the same.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I can say for sure you voided your warranty as soon as you took off any paint intentionally. I work for a giant dealer and sorry that kills the frame warranty. Looks like could be a defect in the frame material and/or internal corrosion which I have seen both before in my shop.