Gear Ratio - Cassette or Chainset

KevinA
KevinA Posts: 492
edited September 2017 in Workshop
Guys

I have a Cervelo S2 and looking at giving myself a more relaxed gear ratio for long hilly climbs,

I am currently running 11-28 cassette and a 52/36 chainset

I am understand that if I was to go to a 30 or 32 tooth cassette I would need a longer chain and larger rear derailleur so I am wondering is it possible to chain the chains and take links out the chain in order to provide me easier gears for climbing.

If this is correct what size would be good for trying?

Comments

• You should be able to fit compact chain rings on there (50/34). You'd most likely need to re-size the chain. A gear calculator (like Sheldon Brown's) will tell you the relative difference.

The rear derailleur will have a max capacity for the length of cage. You should be able to find that on the manufacturers website if you want to go down the cassette change route.
  • KevinA
    Yeah the max I can get on my current RD is a 30t

Just trying to get additional gearing at the lowest cost.

Am I right in saying that I have an 11 speed bike due to the fact I have 11 cogs in the rear cassette, if this was 10 cogs it would be a 10 speed?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,521
    edited September 2017
    yep

and as above, if the crankset is 110bcd, fitting 50/34 might be a better option than changing cassette
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • KevinA
    Thanks
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Going to a 32 on the back is going to have a lot more impact than dropping to a 34 at the front. You'll likely still have to change the chain if you replace the rings, and possibly the cassette as well.
  • KevinA
    Yeah I think I've decided to change both and go for the 50/34 and the 11/32, Med Rear Mech, longer chain and cabling.

Tackle some long, steep climbs