GPS computer for multiple bikes

LimitedGarry
LimitedGarry Posts: 400
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Good day, people. So I'm browsing the market for a GPS computer. Problem! I have three bikes and for reasons I want a convenient way of separating total mileage, climbage and whateverage for each and every bike, as well as being able to separate commuting and relaxed touring from sport.

I've researched a bit and from what I gateher, this function typically exists to allow for different screen and sensor settings.
I need the computer and the accompanying app to acknowledge that I have three different bikes and count total mileage separately for each and every one, preferably without me having to assign a bike to every ride after syncing.

Given how complex readings these devices can give you, I'd consider this the most basic functionality. Not just because of different equipment weight, but also different terrain and effort. Yet it seems that what I want is quite problematic for most devices.

Any help?

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    If your uploading to something like Strava or Training Peaks, you can specify which bike was used for the activity and what type of activity it was. Wahoo devices don't allow for individual bike profiles as yet, but personally, he'll will freeze over before I touch another Garmin device.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    As above, I use my ELEMNT Bolt on multiple bikes then upload to Strava. Once there I have to edit the workout to say which bike it was, if it wasn't the defined default bike.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Garmin Connect and/or Strava will do this. You specify the eqpt (bikes in this case) in Connect or Strava.
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Not liking this very much :(
    I expected that simply selecting my bike before riding out would do the trick. Not really keen on spending a lot of time managing all my individual rides after syncing them. Not keen on syncing after each and every ride either. It's just something I had hoped would work better, more conveniently.
  • Have been watching this as was going to suggest Sporttracks (I'm old school) as you can create individual profiles and create queries for bikes/devices but only manually.

I suspect that what you're wanting GPS devices to do will be limited by the API agreements with third party providers. Plus, if manufacturers don't offer it within their own web/mobile app they're unlikely to give it away freely in API agreements to third parties.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Not liking this very much :(
    I expected that simply selecting my bike before riding out would do the trick. Not really keen on spending a lot of time managing all my individual rides after syncing them. Not keen on syncing after each and every ride either. It's just something I had hoped would work better, more conveniently.

Then either buy an old Garmin 800/810 or hope the 1030 does it. Wahoo may introduce it, but generally, those interested in stats will view the data on something like Training Peaks and enter the bike specifics.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • The ride automatically syncs when i walk in the door. I go to strava, open the ride (as i would to review it), then select from a drop down box what bike it was. Takes maybe 5 seconds longer than when I'm not changing the bike.
    If i race i tick race, if its commute i tick the commute box. Really does takes seconds to do and I'm technically illiterate. Its incredibly straightforward. I can do it on my phone or the laptop.
    I just use strava and a garmin 810. The 810 connects to my phone and automatically uploads the ride at the end.
  • You can create separate activity profiles on the 820 which can have different customised data screens. I'm using 3 different ones for my summer, winter and mountain bikes.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559

Buy a 520 and load Garmin Connect onto your phone. It synchs automatically once you save the ride on your Garmin. Its then a 5 second process to select 'edit' on the Strava ride and select the appropriate bike. If that's too much bother then I suggest you don't bother with a computer at all as it couldn't possibly be simpler.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I know the 800 and 810 have different bike profiles - allows you to connect the various speed/cadence/power devices appropriate to your ride. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to upload the bike profile to Garmin connect - and thus it isn't pulled across to Strava ... however, it does tally up the miles against the bike profile - viewable on the device.

If you want to view it online and you use Strava it seems you need to tell Strava which bike you've ridden - as others have said - it's a 5 second job - and yes, I do do that too. You default a bike so you could either set up a dummy bike to switch from to one of the 3 you have or if you predominately ride one, then set that as the default bike as it will reduce the number of times you need to edit the ride.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,489
    Seems bizarre that someone so keen to separate the different mileages on each bike isn't interested in spending 5 seconds looking at the ride data on Strava etc and amending the bike.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It's so easy to sort it out with strava that i wouldn't look for any other solutions.

You say that you'd hoped that just by selecting the bike it would work for you ?

It does. You just select which bike it was after the ride has been uploaded.

Just use a computer that synchs automatically when you finish.
  • Dorset Boy wrote:
    Seems bizarre that someone so keen to separate the different mileages on each bike isn't interested in spending 5 seconds looking at the ride data on Strava etc and amending the bike.

^ this

Or just get out and ride, and who cares what bike you are on. Some of my best headspace rides have been garmin free on the winter hack
  • graemew
    graemew Posts: 3

... a 5 second process to select 'edit' ... If that's too much bother then I suggest you don't bother with a computer at all as it couldn't possibly be simpler.
    Granted - not a hard process. However, I can see the point of the OP. He/she may not want to sync after each ride, but just let rides accumulate and sync just occasionally, and he may not want to go back and review each and every ride.

It CAN be simpler. For example, Lezyne computers boot up into a simple menu from which you select your bike profile - simply scroll down to the right bike and press ENTER. (that said, I've had other issues with Lezyne - poor battery life and failed firmware updates causing 'bricking', only solved by re-installing firmware via bootloader mode. But at least you aren't paying top dollars for a glitchy device, as I have done with Garmin devices).

The way they could make it EVEN simpler is for the computer to auto-detect the bike it is on based upon the sensors it sees. I don't know any cycle computer that does that, but it would be a really useful feature. In my case - see Quarq power meter and it is on my road bike. See the Garmin ANT+ Speed/Cadence sensor, and it is on my mountain bike ...