Another tubeless tyre question

02gf74
02gf74 Posts: 1,168
edited September 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm looking to fit tubed tyres (but run them without tubes and with sealant) on wheels that are already running tubeless which I believe have sealant.

Only part I'm not sure about is the bead seal. Would I need a wider rim tape over which the tyre bead lies so it seals or will the sealant do that.

The current tyres may be tubeless ready which I understand to mean the carcass is airtight and have different beads that seal to the rim, hence will have narrower rim tape.

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    OK, I've done a bit of searching and it seems that if the rims are tubeless ready then tubed tyres can be run albeit with sealant but no need for special rim tape, is that correct?
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Yes, wheels are either tubeless ready or not.
  • The theory, and the practice differ somewhat. There are 'quirks' involved in running a tubeless set up. You'll find the answers easily enough, as you encounter the issues.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not really. Tubeless ready is a bit of a meaningless term.
    You may still need rim tape. All of my TR did.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    Do not put rim tape on the bead as it may stop the bead from seating properly, the sealant will seal the tyre against the rim. Rimtape is just to seal the spoke holes.

Tubeless ready just means it has rim tape on it, bead is the same.

Just add sealant and pump it up, job done.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Erm, no, with tubeless the rim tape should cover both beads, the tyre seals to the rim tape and the rim itself shouldn't form any part of the seal.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Never put rim tape on my beads - just over the spoke holes. Never had a problem.

Stans rim tape is designed to cover the centre of the wheel but does not extend to the bead
  • The Rookie
    Stans rim tape most assuredly does cover the beads, it's 22mm wide for a 17mm rim!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It's changed since I ordered it for my old giant rims - it most assuredly didn't/doesn't cover those. Either way they sealed and stayed sealed despite many changes of tyres :)
  • The Rookie
  • JGTR
    The Rookie wrote:

That is factually incorrect, great find :lol:

"Rim tape needs to completely cover the inside of the rim."

No it doesn't, neither of my bikes have it covering the beads from the factory, and I've used Stans tape on my new wheels and that doesn't cover the bead either and works fine.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Interesting thread as I'm about to convert a spare set of mavic en521 rims to tubeless and was wondering about rim tape size, 21mm ID but need a wider tape?
  • The Rookie
    JGTR wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

That is factually incorrect, great find :lol:

"Rim tape needs to completely cover the inside of the rim."

No it doesn't, neither of my bikes have it covering the beads from the factory, and I've used Stans tape on my new wheels and that doesn't cover the bead either and works fine.
    Hogwash, Stans narrowest tape is 21mm (22 above was from memory) which is meant for my 17mm rims, but I'm sure you know more than Stans.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/N4MBjNovd ... ay=1&rel=0
  • JGTR
    edited September 2017
    No, I just know more than you.

The rim tape on my wheels, both Stans and the factory fitted rim tape does not cover the beads and my tyres are fine.

So therefore your statement that it SHOULD cover the beads is incorrect.
  • The Rookie
    SHOULD was the word I used, at least read what you criticise, and it's still correct. Stans clearly disagree with you.

Are yours tubeless or UST?
  • JGTR
    Edited for you

Tubeless......otherwise I would have said UST
  • The Rookie
    Just checking!

My statement of should stands, it's what the world leader in Tubeless states you should do.