Used Dogma 65.1 think2 frameset advice

Camrider
Camrider Posts: 2
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
I have always wanted a pinarello bike, but as a casual rider I could never justify the expense. This year I have been looking at used bikes and framesets to build up my own bike.

I have found one, but now I am absolutely paranoid it is a fake. it looks good apart from one small detail, which is hard to verify as most of the genuine bike pictures are of the team bike not the consumer bike. I will upload the photos here if any Pina experts can help me.

I have the frame number, but my local pinarello dealer are not exactly being helpful going down the buy a new one to be sure and we have finance deals ect.

I am supposed to collect today, and I didn't sleep last night because of this, how sad is that. quick feedback appreciated.

s-l1600-5.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

s-l16008.jpg

s-l1600d.jpg

s-l1600e.jpg

s-l1600f.jpg

Comments

• If the seller cannot prove the provenance, walk away
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    As above.
    You shouldn't have to finding out that it is genuine, the seller should be proving that it is.
  • What makes you think it is a fake? Just curious.
  • The answer is in what are you paying for it..and where did the seller get it from etc...if its too good to be true..then IT IS!!
    Leave well alone, if you dont want a fake...or one that cant be verified at best.
  • Is he the original owner - paperwork, serial numbers registered etc, proof of purchase. If it's genuine there must be at least a serial number on the BB that can be checked. I would say stolen is more a risk than fake with framesets or removed items. Theives will strip bikes down knowing they can make more from individual components without arousing suspicion. And flog the frame later knowing they made money on the rest.
  • Is he the original owner - paperwork, serial numbers registered etc, proof of purchase. If it's genuine there must be at least a serial number on the BB that can be checked. I would say stolen is more a risk than fake with framesets or removed items. Theives will strip bikes down knowing they can make more from individual components without arousing suspicion. And flog the frame later knowing they made money on the rest.

Ditto. Anyone making a purchase that large should have documents.

Even if a second owner, that person should have gotten the documents from the original owner given it's a fairly recent Dogma.

I keep my originals for my bike in the owner manual box that came with it.
  • Ask for pics when he had it built, and what has he put the components on...

Or get a Colnago C59 instead, much better looking and sellable in the future in my opinion.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Rollemynot wrote:
    Ask for pics when he had it built, and what has he put the components on...

Or get a Colnago C59 instead, much better looking and sellable in the future in my opinion.

Don't get a fake C59 though, they are around too.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Pretty sure all the Dogmas, including Dogma2 and 65.1 Think2, have Italian threaded bottom brackets. They definitely don't have press fit bearings of any flavour.
    Also, I think the frame number should be something like 2AA5001234567 where the 4th, 5th and 6th digits are the frame size (size 50.0cm in this example), and located under the bottom bracket. Not certain of this on the Think2, so please double check.

FWIW, The front mech hanger (4 rivets) and cable ports look genuine to me.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Walk away from it on the basis that it's ugly as sin. Those wiggly forks ? Ewww.
  • BB wil Italian threaded if it is genuine. That one looks like a push fit to me.
  • A friend of mine who has owned one reckons it's fake . He says the decals are all wrong in size and position and the dropouts on the front fork are too thin.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    BB wil Italian threaded if it is genuine. That one looks like a push fit to me.

Agreed. Fakes are all BSA threaded. If this one is Italian then it's genuine. The BB fitted might be a threaded Wheels Manufacturing or Hope or similar Hollowtech bottom bracket. Blue metal scalloped flange showing, but struggling to think who makes a Hollowtech equivalent in Italian thread

Not sure what headset Think 2 had, but Dogma2 had interference fit bearings, i.e. press fit onto fork crown and into frame.

A photo of the frame serial number would be interesting.

My money would be on it being genuine, but if in doubt, walk away.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    C'mon OP - any update ?