wattbike atom

Comments

• vinnymarsden
    vinnymarsden Posts: 560
    edited October 2017
    Can’t comment on how it performs until I actually can use it! I think it’s because I paid so much that I really expected it to work out of the box....not too much to ask surely?![/quote]

I dont think it matters what you pay for something really...if its meant to work, then work it should...it's not like you have dropped small change on a Chinese copy of something and half expect it to be sh it!!
    Wattbikes are meant to be the dogs doo dahs for serious indoor biking, and if they claim to have connectivity to all the popular apps/devices, then you would assume Sufferfest/TR/Zwift as 3 of the main players would just link in out of the box, well I would, pretty much like the fella here did, and when it hasn't I think he has EVERY right to be mightily pissed off.

A company like WattBike have been in the game long enough you would think to see how the indoor training community is/has gone...people want to use apps...like SF/TR and Zwift.. andif they haven't done the hardware testing properly one can only foresee a lot of purchased/returned Atoms in the near future!
    Surely they have a product testing department..that ought to have tested it to almost exhaustion..after all you are asking people for a large piece of change, it should deliver 100% straightaway, I'm not one of the "oh well, early adopters, what do you expect" types either......
    Nothing comes cheap nowadays, the early adopters do pay a premium, there is no doubt, but they should NOT be paying that premium for inferior equipment that only gets bodged/repaired on the fly as complaints come in (bit like the well known bike computer manafacturer).
    I feel for the OP, he no doubt spent ages convincing his chancellor, or his conscience that he could justify it...now it must seem a real let down, well done WattBike, I hazard a guess you have a very disgruntled VERY early user there, who is going to inform other potential buyers of his misfortune, not because he's vindictive, but simply because his £1400 piece of kit is basically a coat hanger for now!!
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    You’ve more or less nailed it there Vinny.
    I’ll update as soon as I hear back from anyone.
  • jpower
    jpower Posts: 554
    How’s the pedal feel? I found the original Wattbikes to be good, compared to gym bikes which have a real weird feel and I’m guessing the use magnetic like the atom does.

Just asking as my delivery not till December so am rather curious.
  • bsharp77
    Just heard back from The Sufferfest support.
    They have reached out to Wattbike and said they have been getting a flurry of emails with both the sufferfest and trainerroad problems and to expect a firmware update soon.

My confidence is gone at this stage to be honest, I have an expensive clothes horse here and after trying the bike in vain again this evening I even managed to get one of the electronic gear shifting buttons stuck in so that it didn't work and had to shimmy the hood to make it work again - seems very flimsy at best and I shouldn't be able to do that after a total of 10 minutes use.
    Add to this the fact that the electronic bluetooth gearing is now known to have a lag of around 3-4 seconds, surely that is next to useless if using in something like Zwift?!

Feels to me like it may have been rushed out, which seems crazy despite all the claims they made in the run-up and with their previous excellent reputation.

I'm awaiting an official response from Wattbike themselves after they told me to send them a diagnostic dump from their app, but at this stage, unless an immediate firmware update can rectify all problems, I feel like just sending it back and getting either a Kickr or Neo.
  • Placed my order on 17 September and have had an email to say I should expect delivery between 4th and 18th December.
  • eeney
    eeney Posts: 18
    edited October 2017
    Really keen to hear peoples feedback on this. Does anyone have any info on the wear and tear (need to replace) on the parts for a stationary bike? The reason I ask is because my purchase decision is based on the following criteria (which I'm questioning):
    • Safer than riding alone in the dark
    • List Item two
    • Saves wear and tear on my good training bike
    • Wife won't allow a bike and trainer in the house
    • Ability to train harder, I feel it's unsafe to exhaust oneself on public roads
    • Ability to have very focused training sessions
    • Ability to watch my children whilst still training
  • jpower
    @bsharp if you haven’t put it in the box. Can you run a route saved on your Garmin? Does the gradient adjust?
  • Placed my order on 17 September and have had an email to say I should expect delivery between 4th and 18th December

Ordered mine on the 22nd September. Original delivery date was between 4/12/17 and 18/12/17. The emailed me apologising for the delay and offered me a months free trial on Sufferfest.

I replied saying that I would rather have a months free trial on Zwift.

They then replied back saying that I couldn't have Zwift BUT "We are flying in more stock to fulfill orders sooner and your new revised estimated delivery date is week commencing 20/11/2017"
  • bsharp77
    jpower wrote:
    @bsharp if you haven’t put it in the box. Can you run a route saved on your Garmin? Does the gradient adjust?

I haven't put it back in the box just yet jpower.....but I'm very, very close!
    Haven't tried reading from the Garmin, but DC Rainmaker did try it yesterday evening and said it is not working - heres what he said:

"ANT+ FE-C control via the Garmin Edge 820 did not control at all (but did read). Further, Zwift gear changing continues to be both too much of a step (30-50w per gear shift), as well as kinda laggy"

From my end, I updated the app and firmware yesterday - Trainerroad kind of works over bluetooth - I tried the 8 minute FTP test. Started in ERG mode for the warmup, everything was going well, came to the first 8 minute test, machine changed to resistance mode as it should, however I could not get power above 100W no matter what I tried....absolutely infuriating!
    Had to abort the test and nearly kicked the Atom out the door at that stage.

A further test on the Sufferfest after the update, but still not responding to ERG mode.

I'm giving Wattbike until the weekend to get this sorted - I can't afford to mess about any longer.
  • Hi bsharp....

It sounds like the thing is already boxed up in your mind!! A very eager customer now frustrated beyond belief, I am sure these companies just dont understand the mindset of the average customer!! I was toying with idea of trying to get the chancellor to allow me one of these...your experience, together with the niggles DCR has had have made me totally change my mind.I don't want something that cost so much to be "almost great"
    It should be firing on all 6 straight out of the box, especially when you look at the website...and there are actual references to all the apps that appear not to work for the OP!
    It's now Wednesday, and bsharp appears not to have had anything approaching satisfaction from WattBike...could turn into a PR disaster for them on forums such as these if they don't/won't/can't handle issues quickly, or properly.
    Keep us posted bsharp, I am deffo interested if you get it running well or return..I sort of half know what the answer is already I think!!
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    Like many others I get really annoyed by companies that treat their customers as beta testers for their newly released products. It seems clear to me that this product wasn't ready to be released yet but they did so anyway.
  • jpower
    Oh now that’s bad. Can’t find the link to read up.

So is it just the Wattbike hub app that’s working, tell me at least the new climbs they introduced work?
  • bsharp77
    I'll keep you up to date guys.
    I really don't want to seem like a moaner and bash Wattbike - but as you say it really does seem to me that the product has been rushed out....this is typified by the slow gear change problem - surely you would make 100% sure you had this nailed before you let any unit leave the factory?!

If you're going to target the advertising about great connectivity to the big 3 training platforms, it really stings even more when you plug it in and nothing works! Added to the fact Wattbike had a very strong reputation, which was one of the major factors in my decision to purchase, I think it just added to the disappointment.

I'm willing to keep it if they can get it sorted asap, as the bike looks really great and takes up so little space (it actually fits in the boot of my Octavia!), plus the hassle of returning would be a real pain as it actually came on a small pallet, so packing it back up is not very appealing.
    However, it needs to be sorted this week - I can't waste another week faffing around and not getting any training done. If not, I think I may just go for a Neo or Kickr.

Jpower - for your reference, here is a link to the DC Rainmaker post, he has updated his findings along with mine in the newest comments at the bottom of the article:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/09/han ... -more.html
  • Hi:

I am new to this Forum, nice to meet you all :D:D

I placed my order last week and they have quoted a 15 week lead time, I was a bit upset as delivery will be sometime in February...but now looking at all the issues with the initial units, may be giving Wattbike 4 months to sort out all the issues doesn't seem to be a bad idea.
  • eeney wrote:
    Really keen to hear peoples feedback on this. Does anyone have any info on the wear and tear (need to replace) on the parts for a stationary bike? The reason I ask is because my purchase decision is based on the following criteria (which I'm questioning):
    • Safer than riding alone in the dark
    • List Item two
    • Saves wear and tear on my good training bike
    • Wife won't allow a bike and trainer in the house
    • Ability to train harder, I feel it's unsafe to exhaust oneself on public roads
    • Ability to have very focused training sessions
    • Ability to watch my children whilst still training

I'd suggest that cycling isn't the sport for you.
  • eeney

I'm sorry but at 250 - 350kms per week for the last 10 years I may disagree. I commute everyday in Sydney traffic. Where I struggle is finding time for training rides with a young family, I'm currently training alone twice a week at 4am. Having just had 5 weeks off for a broken hand due to a crash half way through one such ride I am reluctantly looking for ways to train safely (riding on the road is my passion).

Justifying the cost of the wattbike when I already have four bikes is my challenge. I was just asking if people thought my reasonings were realistic. Discussing the real, or not so real benefits of a smart stationary bike may help others determine if this or a trainer is the best option.
  • You heard anything positive from Wattbike yet Bsharp??
  • i have unfortunately cancelled my order, citing a 15 week lead time as unsuitable. i received a refund and wattbike were very good about it.
  • bsharp77
    You heard anything positive from Wattbike yet Bsharp??

Evening Vinny,

They got back to me yesterday saying they have submitted an updated app which should solve all problems.
    Its still not live on the apple app store yet......

I'll download and test as soon as it becomes available.
    If everything isn't working 100% this time, it will be quite a short email to Wattbike support on Monday morning :lol:

I'll update as soon as I have more info.
  • rushey
    rushey Posts: 21
    I ordered my Wattbike Atom at the Cycle Show on 22 Sep (not coming until 11-25 December, about a month later than they told me when I placed the order, but hey ho). It's gonna go in our spare room for both me and Mrs R to use.

What I'm wondering is whether to get a TV or monitor + stand ready for it's arrival, so I can use Zwift etc. on a bigger screen, or whether to start out with just an iOS or Android tablet? If I got a TV / monitor, would I also need something like a mini-PC to connect the two, or will the Atom drive the screen directly?

Advice appreciated (I know I should have asked this at the Cycle Show, but it didn't occur to me at the time, doh!).
  • bsharp77
    Rushey wrote:
    I ordered my Wattbike Atom at the Cycle Show on 22 Sep (not coming until 11-25 December, about a month later than they told me when I placed the order, but hey ho). It's gonna go in our spare room for both me and Mrs R to use.

What I'm wondering is whether to get a TV or monitor + stand ready for it's arrival, so I can use Zwift etc. on a bigger screen, or whether to start out with just an iOS or Android tablet? If I got a TV / monitor, would I also need something like a mini-PC to connect the two, or will the Atom drive the screen directly?

Advice appreciated (I know I should have asked this at the Cycle Show, but it didn't occur to me at the time, doh!).

Hi Rushey,

The Atom has nothing to do with the screens at all, it sends data over Bluetooth or ANT+ (well it will when it works properly!).
    The atom has a tablet holder on the front which I tried my iPad Pro in. If you wanted a bigger screen experience, stick with you iOS device and either use a cable to go direct to the tv, very low cost. Alternatively get an Apple TV and mirror your iPhone or iPad directly to your tv.
  • rushey
    rushey Posts: 21
    Ah OK thanks, bsharp77. In which case I think I might start light with just the tablet then, and expand afterwards as and when.
  • Has anybody got more News regarding the connectivity issues which were causing zwift, tr... not functioning properly?

Specially on the gear selector and its slow response...

Inhave placed the order 2 weeks ago, and i am a bit worried

Thanks!!!
  • bsharp77
    Sergida wrote:
    Has anybody got more News regarding the connectivity issues which were causing zwift, tr... not functioning properly?

Specially on the gear selector and its slow response...

Inhave placed the order 2 weeks ago, and i am a bit worried

Thanks!!!

Hi Sergida,

Wattbike released an app/firmware update yesterday which apparently fixes the ANT+ FE-C connectivity issues, however I think the gear speed changing is still a big issue.

I can't verify myself as I've just boxed it up and have requested a return.

By the time you get yours, I'm sure all will be well sorted, I just wasn't prepared to put up with it for that amount of money.
    When I get refunded I think ill go for a Kickr or Neo...and plenty of funds left to upgrade my TV in the man cave.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Bsharp77, two of my cycling buddies have been using an Atom now for a week or so. They are both very happy with it, indeed. "Absolutely brilliant" type of comment.
    I mentioned the issues some are having with connectivity and the sluggish gear change. They've had no problem connecting to Zwift and the WB app. The reckon the gear shifters are 'different' but not really a problem. So, maybe you've got a rogue machine, perhaps try another before you cancel?
  • bsharp77
    proto wrote:
    Bsharp77, two of my cycling buddies have been using an Atom now for a week or so. They are both very happy with it, indeed. "Absolutely brilliant" type of comment.
    I mentioned the issues some are having with connectivity and the sluggish gear change. They've had no problem connecting to Zwift and the WB app. The reckon the gear shifters are 'different' but not really a problem. So, maybe you've got a rogue machine, perhaps try another before you cancel?

Hi Proto,

Thanks for that - I appreciate I appear to have received a particularly troublesome unit as there are a few reports I've now read of the Atom working well, especially since the new firmware update.
    The problem I have is I already resent it now, and I don't think theres any coming back.
    2 weeks of frustration after spending so much money really didn't sit well with me and has made me re-evaluate exactly what I need.

I think ill go for a much cheaper trainer - maybe something like the Kickr Snap - it'll do my job just fine and ill have plenty of funds left to upgrade other things too, which should brighten my mood after a couple of frustrating weeks!

Hopefully the Atom works well for all those that have purchased.
  • Bsharp..I think to be honest you have made the right decision....good luck to all those buying an Atom, and I hope it works well for those that do, but like Bsharp I would be the same.. a LOT of money spent...then TOTAL disappointment, followed by half ar sed support , and if I'm honest I think it would have been boxed/returned before now!!
    Get a Kickr, or a Neo with a decent laptop for the same outlay and you wont regret it....not to say a properly functioning Atom wont do the trick, but the experience is sullied now...have they suggested a full refund, no issues??
  • bsharp77
    Bsharp..I think to be honest you have made the right decision....good luck to all those buying an Atom, and I hope it works well for those that do, but like Bsharp I would be the same.. a LOT of money spent...then TOTAL disappointment, followed by half ar sed support , and if I'm honest I think it would have been boxed/returned before now!!
    Get a Kickr, or a Neo with a decent laptop for the same outlay and you wont regret it....not to say a properly functioning Atom wont do the trick, but the experience is sullied now...have they suggested a full refund, no issues??

Cheers Vinny, yeah they said they would arrange for logistics to get in touch and arrange a collection, so I'm assuming that means a full refund!!
    I'll let you know how the return goes, I just can't wait to be over the whole sorry saga at this stage.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    eeney wrote:

I'm sorry but at 250 - 350kms per week for the last 10 years I may disagree. I commute everyday in Sydney traffic. Where I struggle is finding time for training rides with a young family, I'm currently training alone twice a week at 4am. Having just had 5 weeks off for a broken hand due to a crash half way through one such ride I am reluctantly looking for ways to train safely (riding on the road is my passion).

Justifying the cost of the wattbike when I already have four bikes is my challenge. I was just asking if people thought my reasonings were realistic. Discussing the real, or not so real benefits of a smart stationary bike may help others determine if this or a trainer is the best option.

Kudos to you for breaking the arm and still doing the second half of the ride.

Why would you want to spend so much on a watt bike when you can pick up a turbo for your existing bikes for not much ?

Wear and tear on a turbo bike is minimal.
  • eeney
    Why would you want to spend so much on a watt bike when you can pick up a turbo for your existing bikes for not much ?

Issue with a trainer is that of bringing my bike in the house:
    • Convenience - it's a slight PIA when the ATOM could just 'be there'. For short focused 60 minute training sessions it'd easier not to have to bring the bike in, then take it out again.
    • Asthetics - a bike in the house doesn't pass the WAF test (wife acceptancy factor)
    • ATOM seems to take up less room than a bike and trainer (realise this is slight)

Having said the above I may start looking at trainers, but I'd probably be relegated to the garage. And, the top end smart trainers are not far behind the price of the ATOM. But good to get peoples' input as I have never had/used a trainer, however now I wish to do more focused training sessions which can be tricky alone on the road.