which bike?

neil parkinson
neil parkinson Posts: 7
edited September 2017 in MTB buying advice
hello, i`m looking into getting my first full suspension bike around £2700-£3000`ish. my first 2 choices are scott spark 730 and giant trance advanced 2. i`m unsure which one to get. has anyone on here got either? or could someones experience guide me towards one or the other. looking at spec they are similar, i`ll be getting a medium size. the lockout on the scott edges me to that but only 120mm travel against 150mm. will i be better with the extra travel? any help i`ll takkkkkke thanx.

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Best if you give an idea of what terrain and distance / frequency you'll be doing on the bike - say 80% of the time.

For example - 80 % of the time I'll be on forest tracks. - that will help people get a better idea of what advice to give.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • cheers, i`ll be doing trail centres like llandegla in wales maybe lakes and gisburn. those are were my you-tube watching is.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Riding on a lake may require a boat or canoe but don't quote me. I'll leave it for the more knowlegable to guide you. Have fun.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Get the Trance.
    It’s a great bike for your intended use. I have ridden Llandegla several times on my Trance 2 and it has been perfect.
    Keep an eye out for sales of the 2017 models. The 2018 bikes will be in the shops soon so there should be some bargains to be had.

As oxoman says, remote lockout is just an unnecessary complication. It’s very rare on trails to have to lock or unlock the suspension whilst travelling at any great speed. It’s easy to do it manually: slow down or stop, flick/ rotate the lever/knob and carry on.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • thank you for replies. looking like the trance. i`ll take the plunge n go for it. it was my prefered one but now i`m sure,cheers.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Tbh once you are in the 3k price range I can't imagine the bike will disappoint
  • Have you thought of the Transition's ?
    Holy hell they're good!!
    Unfortuantely i had my Scout 4 stolen after only owning it 3 months but took it down some pretty hairy fast trails as well as doing long rides on it too and it was absolutely awesome!
    £2800 price tag roughly too. Really well specced and i'm considering getting the Patrol at the same price for my next bike it was that good!
    This was mine, absolutely badass setup tubeless!
    https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Scout.cfm?Token={ts_2017-09-13_05:20:27}-daff3a86c7ddc9f5-CFD560FC-C8CE-545B-E9954C44340A784A
  • The fact their bikes START at £2800 also goes to show that they only make really good bikes!
  • Be careful with Paulscycles as i bought a Cannondale HT from them around 4 years ago and it was a brand new bike with a frame that was bent, only knew when it went for it's first service and you couldn't tell from riding it. They then denied the evidence to prove it was bent and it was messy even when i sent them the bike to check over.
    Not saying don't buy from them, just make sure the bike is 100% before you start riding it.