continental gatorskins

bonk_king
bonk_king Posts: 277
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
I currently have continental ultra race tyres on but the wear holes are pretty close to disappearing now. I was in halfords a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find ultras but i did find continental gatorskins so i got some. In hindsight i'm kinda thinking i should have left them and shopped for some ultras on line. The ultras have been brilliant so why change? Anyway too late now i've got the gators. The question i have is can i expect the same level of performance from the gators? Are they better than ultras even? Anyone run on gators who can advise?

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Ultra sports and Gatorskins use the same rubber and basic carcass, Gatorskins just have a much better puncture protection belt. So should ride very similar.

Though both like hosepipes in my experience!

Vittoria Rubino are my choice for budget high mileage puncture resistant tyres, you can probably get Michelin Pro 4 Endurance for similar money too (which are a league above).
  • For what its worth. There's about 5 watts per tyre difference in rolling resistance at 100psi in favour of the Ultra. The tread and sidewall puncture resistance is a little better on the Gator. The Gator's are 10 grams lighter than the Ultra's. So I doubt you would notice much if any difference.
  • Thanks for the input guys. I'll see how i get on with them.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I run gators on my commuter ... never had an issue with rolling resistance, grip or punctures ... yeah sure the gp4000iis are faster and hook up better on Bristol cobbles, but the gators are in no way detrimental to the ride
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Totally agree with super_davo about Gators feeling like you're riding a hosepipe.

Michelin Pro 4 Endurance - lower RR, better ride feel and similar puncture resistance.
  • I really don't like Continental tyres. I've never had a good one yet. Quite by accident, I found these to punch well above their weight though.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... -prod61962